Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - What gears to choose
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2013
randeez11
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerw225 View Post
I have a 2014 V6 auto, with stock 2.73 gears. i want to switch them to either 3.31s or 3.73s. what is the fuel economy range with each, and what is the quarter mile difference. i just want a little more get up and go, so i can continue beating my friend in his 04 GT with out sacrificing to much fuel economy.
Depends what you use the car for. 3:73's will certainly give you a V6 that will earn respect. And it might actually get better fuel mileage in stop and go city driving situations, but on the highway, you will burn more fuel . if you don't drive the car on a lot of long trips , going from 2:73 gears , to a lower gear ratio will definitely make the car perform better.Just keep in mind that a change from 2:73's to 3:73's will definitely burn lot more fuel on the highway. If fuel consumption is an issue, you might want to consider the 3:31's and maybe get a few bolt on mods like throttle bodies, and headers. They wont hurt your gas milage but will definitely wake the car up. And should get you in the ballpark, to match your friends 04 GT. Regardless if you are wanting decent performance, 2:73 gears just wont cut it, especially with a motor this small. Just a few thoughts.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome