Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - 3.7L V6 Aftermarket cams
View Single Post
post #47 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2013
KonaV6
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post
In the "old Days" I wouldn't have thought twice about making a cam change. But wit these new high tech motors,they seem to run pretty good as they are built. With the variable cam timing this little V6 makes some good power. yes you could change the cams, but at what expense ? These engines make goods power and do it while maintaining excellent street manners coupled with phenomenal gas mileage. I have been through the old time rough idles, gas gulping and single purpose vehicle modes. In my books, if someone is that serious, why not bolt on a Procharger and be done with it. You will end up with a V6 that makes unreal power, and will do it without sacrificing street manners and driveability in any way. I know going this route isn't for every one as lots of guys still like to build up engines, the conventional way. But this is 2013, and times, have definitely changed.
Sure enough the supercharger is a fairly large up front expense. But when you consider the fact that you do not have to dismantle the engine to install it, plus the fact that the realized power gains are such that one would need to make very intensive changes to a conventional engine to come even close to the power gains from a blower this makes the most sense to me. I didn't always think this way, but the Procharger on my GT humbly convinced me. Just my .02, for whatever its worth.
Exactly, maybe buy CAMs after FI, especially on a smaller displacement motor. Way better options as far $ to performance ratio goes.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome