Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Looking to get headers on 3.7
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2013 Thread Starter
Shoot em UP
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrickland1988 View Post
With long tubes you're going to also need to change your midpipe with the cats, it doesn't bolt up. As you're in California, you won't be able to pass smog with long tubes so that is definitely something to consider. You already have one of the loudest axlebacks out there, with the LT headers and aftermarket midpipe it's going to be pretty much as loud as possible with a full exhaust.

You're looking at a peak HP gain over shorty headers, but a hell of a lot more money and complexity when you need to get smogged, and an extremely loud, raspy V6. I personally hate the sound of an aggressive LT exhaust on the 3.7, and really any V6 in general but I can assure you that youtube videos do no justice to how loud it will be.

Anyways, for LTs, midpipe and install, you're looking at well over $1,000.
Beech kid, pretty sure the sound will change. The volume and velocity of the air columb will be all different. And the engine will be under different load, which will also change it a bit.

Mstrickland, yea I know I won't pass smog, buy my dad has a lift in his garage so install and putting the stocks back on will be a days job every few years. No big deal. And the borlas come with an xpipe, the bbk's I would have to buy one, but no big deal. I don't see shorty headers being worth it is all. If I'm going to do it, I would do it. But I just don't know if I will like the sound... The ataks are amazing, and screwing that sound up would suck.

I know you can add resonators to help, bug I don't really know much about them or what is involved with installing them (I try to do all my own work, which thus far has been successful). Would they help, and what exactly are they?

What sort of power torque difference would LT make over shorty? Maybe if it isn't a huge deal, I could go for some shorty's.

JLT CAI -- 73mm BBK TB -- Lone Wolf Ported Manifolds -- BBK Ceramic Shorties -- Borla ATAK Axle Back -- AM Short Throw -- 3.73 Rear -- DSS Aluminum DS -- Barton Shifter Bracket -- MPT 91 Tune -- Koni Yellow's -- J&M CC Plates -- SR Springs -- Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace -- BMR LCA's and Relo's -- HTRZ III 235/55-17 -- JLT Oil Seperator -- Billlet Grille -- GT500 Rear Diffuser -- Blue on Black Cue Ball Shifter Knob

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome