Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Rental return 2012, great deal, any thoughts?
View Single Post
post #16 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2013
gfresh6969
Apprentice

While not a mustang, my other car (2012 VW Golf) was an ex-rental. I bought it for about half the price of a new car and had about 40k on the clock. I got it with CPO and an extended warranty until 120k. It had one scratch on it and was in near mint condition. It was like I practically got a new car for half the price. Now with the mustangs, people could rent them out just to burn rubber and therefore is a type of car that is likely to get abused more often.

If it is not CPO, I would have a dealer or mechanic inspect it. I bought a used mustang and took it to the dealers and paid $80 to inspect it (or you can take it to a local mechanic for cheaper but I wanted ford) and everything was mint. I saved almost half of the price vs new car. Try to get the service records of the car, rentals usually take good care of their cars.

I would say go for it if everything checks out with the mechanic!

Edit to give you some price figures (Canadian):
2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.5 Base with Heated Seats- 40k odo (CPO w/ Extended Warranty)- MSRP: 25-30k, Got it for: 16k
2011 Ford Mustang Premium (options in sig)-58k odo (Non CPO/Factory Warranty)- MSRP: 30-34k, Got it for: 18k

2011 V6 6MT, Kona Blue, Premium, heated Saddle leather, 3.31, HID
***Procharged***
Mods: AIRAID CAI, Bama, Magnaflow Street CB, BBK S. Headers, BBK Catted X-Pipe, BBK 73TB, Strut Tower Brace, SR Springs 1.5, Koni STR.T Shocks/Struts, Bumpsteer Kit, Panhard Bar, LCAs, PowerStop Brake Kit, Black MGP Caliper Covers, GT500 Rear Diffuser, Roush Side Splitters, Stillen Front Chin, 30% Tint, LEDs, Black Super Snake Stripes, Polk/Alpine, Audio Control LC7i, RF 10" Sub, 19" Staggered AMRs

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome