Ford Mustang Forum banner

Painting K&N Air Tube

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  tached_out 
#1 ·
I just finished installing the Midwest Autogear plenum and fuel rail covers done in body color. I am getting a K&N Aircharger and would like to paint the air tube body color. However, it is
polyethylene plastic which is one of the most difficult plastics to paint. From what I have been able to find it seems that Bulldog
Adhesion Promoter might do the trick.

Anyone have a painted K&N air tube? Any problems?

Anyone ever use Bulldog Adhesion Promoter?

Thanks

#3 ·
mrvandermey said:
Not yet, I am considerng the same thing, for I already have the K&N CAI, but I am interested in painting the tube as well. Do let us know what you find.
Yesterday I e-mailed the company that makes the adhesion promoter but haven't heard back from them. I have seen enough
"it works" in other non-Mustang forums to make me want to give it a try. It will be after Christmas because the Air Charger is a Christmas gift from the wife and it's one of those "You can't open it until Christmas" deals. I asked if i could paint it before she wrapped it but got a "NO!". But I'm thankful she likes getting me things for the Mustang.

I will definitely report on how it goes if I paint it.

#4 ·
I have used a few gallons of BullDog adhesion promoter and you can trust me as I know it works...its a great product! I painted my JLT intake body color...I didnt use Bulldog cause I have since switched jobs and didnt have it...I just used Duponts 222 adhesion promoter and a sealer. it looks like it did 10 months ago :) you'll be ok.

#5 ·
MickMach said:
I have used a few gallons of BullDog adhesion promoter and you can trust me as I know it works...its a great product! I painted my JLT intake body color...I didnt use Bulldog cause I have since switched jobs and didnt have it...I just used Duponts 222 adhesion promoter and a sealer. it looks like it did 10 months ago :) you'll be ok.
Thanks. I am going to give it a try. I plan to use the Bulldog, a base coat and clear coat. Is the sealer you used something different than a clear coat?

#6 ·
dtwwest said:
Thanks. I am going to give it a try. I plan to use the Bulldog, a base coat and clear coat. Is the sealer you used something different than a clear coat?
no sir.. My JLT came black and it would have taken several coats of white to cover it. I used a white sealer to get it covered then basecoat follwed by a clearcoat.

#7 ·
I am kinda of ignorant to this but i know that on intakes plastic ones are the best because they dont eat up and stay cooler then Alum. So would painting it effect the temp of the AIR at all. Some thing you mind want to check out. If it doesnt let me know I am thinking of painting my procharger plastic tube.

#8 ·
im sure painting it would have some effect on it but probably nothing noticable. whats a couple degrees????

#9 ·
I just talked to my mechanic as well about the painting and he said he would accually help it due to insulation. so painting your CAI would be the way to go...now i know what im doing to mine...

#10 ·
I had mine painted by the local Ford dealership. Not sure just what they did, but my son has it now and it is still perfect. One thing I would suggest is that you sand the tube first. If it was smooth it would look alot better. If you don't sand it don't take the K&N sticker off because it is smooth under it and it will look bad.

Attachments

#11 ·
ooo yeah of course do a sand and primer before the paint. Thats how i did my mirrors. That makes the biggest differnce is painted mirrors too...

#12 ·
sandyman said:
I had mine painted by the local Ford dealership. Not sure just what they did, but my son has it now and it is still perfect. One thing I would suggest is that you sand the tube first. If it was smooth it would look alot better. If you don't sand it don't take the K&N sticker off because it is smooth under it and it will look bad.
Hey sandyman,
Who makes the hose dress up you used under the hood? I haven't seen anything like it. thx

#14 ·
I know that the alum air tubes tend to over heat and are not that good if you want to drag race alot. I was talking to some one with a C&L at the track and he loved it but when he is hot laped he has to contintently put a rag out of the ice box over it to keep it cool. Not sure how much that helps but im sure its better then nothing. Were plastic should release more of the heat faster and sense it is not as dense i think it should be put it wont absorb alot of the heat too. I think carbon is also a great material that stays cooler then plastic which Tunable Induction makes a great carbon intake. For daily driving i wouldnt worry about either of them just get one that you think looks cool or can get a good deal on. They are all pretty good products unless you get it from pep boys or some island store at the mall :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.