Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - 2015 Mustang vs. Z28
View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2013
PW_Pony
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_goat View Post
OK, let's look at it like this.

The cost of a none premium auto Mustang GT is around $30,000, and if I spend around $2500 worth of bolt ons and tune, then add around $500 worth of drag radials, I get me a Z/28 kill in the quarter mile.

..........and I still have my air conditioning and a killer radio.

This is also why the quarter mile performance of the supercharged Camaro ZL1 wasn't 'that' impressive. My bolt on Pontiac G8 GXP (ARH headers, high flow cats, CAI, 3200 Yank torque converter, and a killer tune, plus drag radials) was an 11.9 second car in good weather, which was faster the the 12.1 times is advertized.

Again, I'm surely not anti GM or anti Chevy by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm all about bang for the buck. Given the prices of the Z/28 and ZL1 Camaros, there is so much more that a person could do to match the performance, yet save $20,000 real dollars.

It's like saying that I would rather have a base Vette, versus the Shelby GT500.

A lot of people are looking for power to weight ratio, but I look for performance to dollar ratio. Also with my wife having diabetic neuropathy, it makes it almost impossible for her to drive a manual, so (like in the case of the Shelby GT and the Camaro Z/28) I have to have an automatic.

Not kissing Ford's a**, but right now, for a performance automatic, there is nothing on the market that can come anywhere near a Mustang GT (for spending $30,000-$35,000), and if I were looking to spend near the $50,000 level, the Vette is the best buy on the market at that level.
Yeah a kill in the quarter. But not a road course or auto-x. (That's where the real fun is, btw.) I don't know if you've noticed, but drag strips aren't doing very well these days. Many are struggling to keep the gates open. Road courses on the other hand are doing much better. Struggling a little, yes, but still doing much better than drag strips.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome