Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Recent got '11 GT, having MT82 whine problems
View Single Post
post #51 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2014
5LHO
GT Member

When I had my '12's MT rebuilt by Ford last year, one of the gear clusters was well, clustered, and it was replaced with the phosphate-coated 13+ set for that gear.

Phosphate coating isn't new to Ford. They did this for the 93 GT and Cobra T5s as well, similar concerns. It's a band-aid addressing an unlikely cause (gear facing wear) and it won't get at the root of the problems with some of these cars.

My opinion, borne out only by what lit up on my car, is that the bearings used in the trans were of suspect quality or had poor quality control. I told Ford dealer that I suspected an input shaft bearing was hurting and that was causing the whines. They confirmed my diagnosis on disassembly.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome