Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Buying my first Mustang this week
View Single Post
post #21 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2014
alecmets2011
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck80 View Post
First and foremost, thanks to everyone for their input so far... As a bit of a teaser I'm actually not going to say which car I did strike a deal for (and left deposit) until I do pick it up, but, it is true that I have actually struck the deal and picked the car to settle any confusion on that front.

However, to regard the GT suggestions and comments.... for me, one of those just wasn't and/or isn't the right car. The 305hp rating on the 3.7 is enough for me to be happy. I've had fast cars before, and they can be fun, but as I think about what I plan on using the car for long term it just isn't necessary. Then again, its not like the 6 isnt fast either. Plus, the premium pkg on the 6 does carry along lots of the fun bonuses. Besides, if you only go back a couple of years, the GT V8 mustangs actually were carting about lower ratings than the curent v6. (Not to mention that a number of my 70s/80s cars were rated just over 100hp new, and I'm sure have lost some over the years...compared to one of those it'll be blazing fast)

This car will be a pleasure, weekend, and occasional driver, and i'd be surprised if i hit 5-6,000 miles in a given year on it (although you never know.) Think something that will hang around and, all things willing, be the car that's still in the garage someday for when a kid starts driving and needs their first car. Unless I like driving it too much that is. So.... between all of that, extra cost, extra insurance, and lower gas mileage, the GT lost out during my search.
Not a lot of people "pleasure, weekend, and occasional driver" their V6s. They're mostly DDs. And if you're doing 5-6000 miles a year, can gas mileage matter THAT much? I'm sure you've bought a great car though. I'm not putting down the V6, it's just that in your position, I would've bought an used 11 gt premium.

That's exactly what I did a month ago, although I DD mine. Bought her used for $22.5 with just under 30k miles.

But congratulations!! Post some pictures when you go pick her up.

2011 5.0 GT Premium - 6MT - Ebony Black - Navigation - 3.73 - GT500 axlebacks - 3rd owner - 30k miles

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome