Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Review of my V6 exhaust setup: BBK shorties, x-pipe, Force II
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2014 Thread Starter
rangerdoc
PONY Member

Review of my V6 exhaust setup: BBK shorties and x-pipe, Force II

When I was selecting my exhaust combo I couldn't find reviews of the combo I wanted so I thought I'd give a review of what I have. My car is a daily driver so I wanted something that wasn't too obnoxious so I selected BBK shorties, BBK x-pipe and Flowmaster Force II axle back.

I installed the x-pipe and axle back at the same time so I can't comment on just the mufflers (wish I had done one at a time for comparison purposes). I was extremely pleased with the sound at start-up and idle. Sounded V8ish. However, the sound got very raspy at higher RPMs. I'm not sure if the raspiness was a result of the V6, x-pipe or the mufflers since I installed both at the same time. The raspiness was so bad that I would have eventually tried the stock h-pipe, except I still had to install my headers.

After the shorty headers were installed things improved greatly. There is still a bit of raspiness at higher RPMs (again, could be the V6, x-pipe or mufflers) but I don't feel the need to change anything. The sound got much deeper and aggressive but not so loud at cruise that it bugs me.

After going back and listening to a bunch of exhaust clips I think the Force IIs are some of the least aggresive axle backs available. Comparing my car to the clips I can pick up on sound nuances that I didn't catch before. If you're looking for the absolute deepest sound available then you'll probably be disappointed with the Force II, but nonetheless they are still an improvement over stock.

2008 Bullitt|Roush M90 w/2.57 pulley & CAI; 90mm MAF; Steeda-UCA, LCAs, Ultralites, links, mounts; MM CC plates; Bilsteins; GT500 FCAs; Brembos; Roush shifter; GT500KR axle back; etc
1969 Coupe Restomod-never complete!
2008 Power Wheels Bullitt Clone
Mustangs from the past: 66 coupe, 69 Coupe, 69 Grande, 2001 Bullitt, 2011 V6

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome