Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - thinking of switching to 5.0.
View Single Post
post #55 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2014 Thread Starter
akeemjvasser
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
My V6 has the 3.31 and 3rd gear is the monster gear....if you are going over 40 and want to do a passing move it just comes alive @ 4k rpm and by the time you have passed the 2nd car you are at 70+ mph. I imagine 3.55/3.73 are more fun but haven't tried them. No matter what you do the V6 is sedate below 4K rpm which is what gives you decent mpg...you need to keep/get rpms up and not be afraid of dropping down 2 gears when passing. I would like to try either of those two choices.

I will say I've driven the V8 a couple of times (and good drives too) and the torque advantage is huge...what the V6 pulls like in 3rd the V8 will do in 5th. See also sound & respect
Im going to be honest I started a thread here weeks ago called performance shifting. I wanted to know at what point in the rpms to downshift and how far to downshift and lastly what speeds are downshifting accpetable. I never got a clear answer so I never did it. And I've read that with 3.73 gears the car is super responsive no matter what gear your in. So of course it attracted me. I originally wanted 3.55s but it seems 3.73 are the way to go.

Steeda tune, Steeda ultimate induction cold air intake, BBK tuned length shorty headers, Idatalink maestro.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome