Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - 4-speed toploader into Foxbody
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2014 Thread Starter
Blownpony
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I would agree. Back in the day when I first started racing I ran a top loader behind a Boss 302 installed in a 68' Cougar XR7. A great combo as witnessed by a lot of big block cars of that era.
My current concern is the location of the shifter as you indicated and the length of the top loader transmission overall vs. the shifter location in the car. Cutting the tunnel is not an issue for me. I did assume that would be part of the installation process.
Since making this inquiry I have learned that Liberty will rebuild a top loader with straight cut gears to "in effect" make it clutch less. The problem is finding a shifter that will work like the old Hurst or Mr. Gasket V-Gate which are no longer available.
Thank you for your input and thoughts. I was hoping that someone had actually done accomplished this mod and could fill me in on more specific information concerning the issue listed above. Have a good day...Don.

2011 Shelby GT 500, SVTPP Package all stock accept Foose Wheels, MRT rear window louvers, side pods from American Muscle.
1985 Mustang GT, Blue Printed 302 w 650 Holley, Twisted Wedge Aluminum Heads, Ram Clutch, Tremec 3550 built by D&D Performance, Aluminum Driveline, Auburn Locker w 31 spline Moser axles, 4:10 gears.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome