Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Shifter For Daily Driver
View Single Post
post #27 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2014 Thread Starter
WhiteBird00
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I had the MGW shifter installed a couple of days ago and to be honest, I wish I hadn't. Yes, the action is more precise and it is obvious that it is a quality piece of equipment. For performance driving I could see it being a "must have" modification. But for cruising and daily driving I find it noisy and it actually seems to emphasize the notchy feeling of the transmission that so many complain about. I keep forgetting that the centering spring is stronger than stock so several times I've ended up starting from third while thinking I had put it in first.

The shorter throw is only noticeable if you're thinking about it - that's a good thing because it feels very natural (it's not so short that it would feel like a major change).

The people at MGW are amazing to deal with. George even called me to discuss my shift knob selection and ended up sending me their new "gripper" knob (a textured composite round ball with a pony logo medallion on top) and I love it.

The performance shop I had do the installation (I have no way to raise the car enough to get my fat butt underneath... besides I'm getting older) didn't seem to follow all the instructions. I had to pull off the console and boot when I got home to adjust the lockout screw because getting into first and second involved brute force. I found that they hadn't seated the rubber boot properly and they hadn't put the factory sound deadener on top of the MGW stuff as they should. Fixing those things made a difference and it is currently acceptable... just not worth the almost $600 it cost in total with installation.

The stock shifter setup may be a bit sloppy but it is smooth enough for my driving style and very quiet. Obviously most members here are more interested in performance and the MGW shifter is a great choice for that use.

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome