Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Think I'm ready to buy my first car: mustang GT 2012-2015. Have some questions...

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  NoVa5.0 
#1 ·
First post here!

So I'm looking to buy a pre-owned or new mustang GT from the dealership. I've looked into the specs, test drove it (2014), and the competition.

Couple questions though...

1) Is minor modifications like exhaust system, springs, new wheels, intake, ok for the warranty? Or will it void it... Anything to be careful of?

2) I know for BMW you can use dinan to chip the turbo and it will still be covered under warranty. Is there an equivalent for mustang? Please keep in mind I know very little about modding cars, but is it true it's easier to get more HP with turbos, than with the NA v8 of the mustang? My brother in law had an evo X, leasing it, and got it up to 400hp with a chip and something else I think and it was still covered under warranty. Is there a way to add like 50hp or so to the mustang, or is it definitely not worth it since I'll be leasing. If it only cost like 1-2k to get 50-100 more hp for 3-4 years I think it'd be worth it, but don't know how much that would cost...

3) Is the 2015 mustang leaps and bounds better than the previous gen? I heard mustangs handling is atrocious but the 2015+ gen is much better. Is this true? I only test drove the 2014 and wasn't exactly going through tight corners. And just how bad is the handling of the 2012-2014 mustangs...for comparison.. I drive a 2003 c240 (w203) - handles terribly relative to an sti, but it still is small and RWD...

4) any mustang gt drivers have some feedback?

5) Is there a confirmed 0-60 time? was it 4.3s with manual for 2015 mustang and 4.5s for the 2014 manual model?

See less See more
#3 ·
First post here!

Couple questions though...

1) Is minor modifications like exhaust system, springs, new wheels, intake, ok for the warranty? Or will it void it... Anything to be careful of?

2) I know for BMW you can use dinan to chip the turbo and it will still be covered under warranty. Is there an equivalent for mustang? Please keep in mind I know very little about modding cars, but is it true it's easier to get more HP with turbos, than with the NA v8 of the mustang? My brother in law had an evo X, leasing it, and got it up to 400hp with a chip and something else I think and it was still covered under warranty. Is there a way to add like 50hp or so to the mustang, or is it definitely not worth it since I'll be leasing. If it only cost like 1-2k to get 50-100 more hp for 3-4 years I think it'd be worth it, but don't know how much that would cost...

3) Is the 2015 mustang leaps and bounds better than the previous gen? I heard mustangs handling is atrocious but the 2015+ gen is much better. Is this true? I only test drove the 2014 and wasn't exactly going through tight corners. And just how bad is the handling of the 2012-2014 mustangs...for comparison.. I drive a 2003 c240 (w203) - handles terribly relative to an sti, but it still is small and RWD...

4) any mustang gt drivers have some feedback?

5) Is there a confirmed 0-60 time? was it 4.3s with manual for 2015 mustang and 4.5s for the 2014 manual model?

The mods you mention should not void your warranty. I would not be concerned. You can PM the ford rep on the site for confirmation.

The Ford Racing Tune is similar to Dinan but only gives you 3 years 3600 miles and you will not see the gains you are looking for. I ran this tune for about 5k miles, its better than stock but leaves you wanting more. I eventually went full bolt on's and never had an issue. The S197 goes down as the most reliable zero issue vehicles I have ever owned and inexpensive to maintain.

The S197 is a very solid performance car but the 2015 is taking it to the next level, I think it is a better all around car in every aspect and is the mustang to get if you can wait and are willing to pay close to sticker early on.

No official 0 - 60 times just estimates.

You also mention bigger gains from turbo's and I say yes and no. Yes from the perspective of for less money you tend to see bigger gains but no from the perspective that there is so much left on the table with your V8, slap a turbo or super charger on a v8 and it is game over. The S550 with FI is going to rule.

Either way you will have a sweet ride but at this stage in the game S550 is the way to go.

#4 ·
1. Without doing real exhaust mods, CAIs do nothing, even with a tune.

2. 2015s aren't out yet.

3. 0-60 depends on tons of variables. The lowest numbers come from Brembo/Track Pack cars with manuals and 3.73s. So your numbers would depend on what you buy, and how well you can drive it.

4. Turbo cars can be great for moding, but no one knows how things will go with the 2015 EB Mustangs, since they're not out yet. We're probably several months away from any real information, since the 2.3L EB engine is brand-new, and the after-market hasn't had the chance to play with it yet.

#5 ·
or is it definitely not worth it since I'll be leasing.
This.

Do they even lease mustangs? Why would you mod a leased vehicle?

The 5.0 is going to be faster, it wont even be close. Stock for stock or mod for mod.

#7 ·
Umm yes they lease mustangs. Is it that unheard of?

Ok, thanks for the answers so far everyone.

If you couldn't tell, I'm very new to mustang..still have some more questions.

You guys mentioned the best 0-60 numbers for the GT come with track package/brembo brake package?

Now..I can just tell this is a stupid question to you guys..but how will better brakes improve 0-60 times? Is it just lighter or...enlighten me?

And usually the best advice when buying a car i hear is buy it bare bones, since you can do everything aftermarket for cheaper. But everyone is saying...brembo/track package is worth it?

#8 ·
And usually the best advice when buying a car i hear is buy it bare bones, since you can do everything aftermarket for cheaper. But everyone is saying...brembo/track package is worth it?
The track pack/performance pack is definitely worth it. There is no way you can buy and install all the mods you get with those options for the price ford charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.