Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - If you are still on the fence on the 2015
View Single Post
post #44 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2014
Radioguy
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old5Oh View Post
Oh, I think you're wrong. Two reasons. One, MT is just about alone in their opinion, really harsh compared with some of the others especially Motor in GB, which is probably less influenced by who they plan to name COTY.

Second, you are comparing an absolutely loaded, every option in the catalog 15 GT with a Boss, which was as stripped as they come. So the 15 is 100 pounds heavier? Let's weigh a 15 GT PP without the Premium interior, the Shaker Pro and all the gee-gaws. I think that 100 pounds disappears.

Nope, three reasons. The PP is still a GT. The Boss was never intended to be the mass-market car. It has a sharp an edge as Ford could grind onto the old battle axe. Compare 14 to 15 GTs and there will be no comparison. You can already see that in the reviews. No one has yet actually compared track times. The closest I've seen to that is MT's own Figure 8, where the PP just made mince meat of the Boss. "Squishy feel" or not, I am very anxious to see some lap times on real tracks.

Oh. And just to put an exclamation point on it, I think the GT 350, the "sharp edge axe" version of the S550, may make all this discussion sound like yesterday's news. Wouldn't want to drive one every day as I will drive my GT, but it'll be a heck of a weekend toy.
Motor Trend does some of the best "unbiased data gathering" among the trade mags. Not much chance the "stereo and quality leather" is going to add 100 lbs to the car Motor Trend said:
"Now for what you've been waiting for: the new 2015 Mustang GT accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in 4.4 seconds, and gallops through the quarter mile in 12.8 seconds at 112.2 mph. That's just a tick slower than the last performance-pack-equipped 2013 Mustang GT we tested. The old S197 model ties the 2015 model in a race to 60 mph and completes the quarter mile a tick faster at 12.7 seconds, with a 111.7 mph trap speed. Big six-piston Brembo front brakes help the new Mustang come to a stop from 60 mph in 107 feet, a yard shorter than the outgoing model."

Read more: 2015 Ford Mustang GT First Test - Motor Trend

That was a comparison of PP car to PP car. Even on 0-60, slower then the S197 in the quarter by .1 sec and faster then the S197 in the figure 8 by .3 seconds (Tied with the BOSS).
"The new Mustang GT rips 'round the figure eight in 24.7 seconds, pulling 0.84 g average in the process. That's not only quicker than the last Mustang GT (25.0 seconds at 0.77 g average), but it's also a better performance than the last Mustang Boss 302 (24.7 seconds at 0.78 g average) we tested. Though it managed a higher average g on the figure eight than the Boss 302 -- which we'd still feel confident calling the best Mustang ever -- the 2015 Mustang didn't feel as nimble or competent as the Boss; it didn't feel like the front and rear ends were talking to each other. Turning in off-throttle resulted in moderate push (understeer from the front end), which needed to be corrected with the throttle. This, in turn, caused a bit of slushy oversteer that, while manageable, slowed the GT down a bit. While that's not bad per se, we were expecting a bit more from the new IRS-equipped Mustang.

Read more: 2015 Ford Mustang GT First Test - Motor Trend

I don't think "mince meat" is quite accurate I agree that it will be interesting to see some more quantitative data on the new Mustang. However, given the early data, I doubt many people will really push the new Mustang around the track any faster then the previous 11-14 Mustangs of similar configuration. And it looks like it will be a little disappointing on the street and strip.

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome