Ford Mustang Forum banner

99 GT speedo recal tool installation advice.

760 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  DJAlsip 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 99 GT with 3.73 gears and P315/35ZR17 wheels. The speedometer is definitely off. I am getting a speedometer recalibration tool from American Muscle. I am putting a shout out to anyone who has installed this device in their mustang and if they have any pointers or hazards to avoid.

#2 ·
I would suggest to save up a little extra to get a handheld tuner instead. I have the Bama X4 tuner from AM, and so far I am happy with it. I have heard great things about Brenspeed and Steeda too. With the tuner you get way more bang for your buck, as you can correct the speedometer, ready and cleat any DTC's (check engine codes), adjust shift firmness (if automatic), and also get a few hp extra. Just about anyone who gets gears go with the tuner instead of a calibrator tool.

#3 ·
+1 on that advice. The hand held turner can also act as an ODB2 scanner. Which gives you access to operational PID's. Huge trouble shooting advantage.

The turner option also has the advantage of keeping the car more "stock" looking. No wiring "hacking" needed.

#6 ·
Exactly. For the extra money it is definitely worth it. If you decide to get the tuner in stead, you will not regret it later down the road. :)

#7 ·
Great question and for what it's worth I would agree with what's being said here about picking up a Bama X4/SF4 for your GT-It's going to be a lot easier to use as opposed to the Speedo Recal Tool and one of the greatest features aside from it making the car feel loads stronger is that Bama has Free Tunes for Life meaning if you're to have something else installed that would require a tune revision you simply make an order for a new tune or shoot us a call and we get you set up!

Let me know if you have any questions and I hope this helps!

Alex

#8 ·
Thanks for the advice. I have one more issue that you might be able to help me with. My A/C is not working. The Freon in the system has the correct amount of pressure but, the compressor clutch is not energizing. I put a meter across the plug with the ac on and I don't get 12V. The compressor can be turned by hand. I didn't try jumping the clutch directly to the battery yet. What do you think? Relay? fuses?

#9 ·
Check the fuses yourself. Use the handbook/user manual that came with the car, it has a diagram of both fuse boxes. Once you locate the fuse, remove it and use a multimeter (or VOM meter) to see if there is any contact between the two points. You might be able to just hold it up against the light to see if the fuse is burnt or not, depends on the fuse color. I do not suggest to jump the clutch directly, if there is no power at all it means there is an electrical problem somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.