Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Motor Trend--15 Camaro 1LE PP vs 15 Mustang GT PP--Randy Pobst
View Single Post
post #67 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2014
choate
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenG View Post
The Brembo cars were the sort of Track or Performance package cars of their day, specifically built slightly less than the BOSS. As such they got a just slightly stiffer suspension and slightly wider tires (255s versus 245) over the plain GTs. (GT/CS had 245s on 19" rims). The performance pack 2015s seem to have even wider 265 on the tires, but I am unsure if they stiffened the suspension any.

But, I do agree with your overall assessment, Ford left too much on the table, maybe because there will not be much difference in the GT350 suspension wise or they were still refining the GT350 and did not want a plain GT to get too close in performance.

GM has the advantage of having already produced the ZL1, Z/28 and 1LE and can refine each in its own niche area while not offending the higher priced cars.

Randy does comment these are daily driver street cars as opposed to track machines. Even guys who own BOSS and Z/28s comment they are (at times) unhappy with them as daily drivers.

I am not trying to excuse a failure to perform on Fords part. They took it in the shorts and should be embarrassed. A 2 second loss at Willow Springs is a 2 second loss. But, at least for me, I am not buying a Camaro.

I am with you . I will admit at first I was a little butt hurt about the loss though lol. Reason being is just the way Ford set expectations. Maybe I just read into it wrong but I was at first expecting a 200lb lighter car, then got dissapointed when it was heavier (big let down) and hoping for 50hp more (lofty goal I know) and now you have a fun car for not a lot of money overall that would be a BIG improvement in performance so I was hoping to whoop that Camaros butt on the track! All that being said I am over the loss on the track and actually like the car overall. If you look at the numbers they did improve the track times quiet a bit really. I will also admit the Camaro is a mean looking car, more tough looking than a Mustang in a way but I too am not going anywhere and just gonna keep my 12 w the mods I've done for now. On a final thought, at least it beat it in a drag race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
And Car & Driver agrees with you :
"Not A Pretty Cabin With the exception of the $1995 Recaro seats and the material covering the steering wheel and shifter, the rest of the Camaro interior reminds us of the General Motors that went bankrupt. If it weren’t for the interior, nothing about the 1LE would feel cheap.
And yet, we’d be willing to overlook the interior and the lack of outward visibility to park a Camaro SS 1LE in the garage."

C&D are very high on the Camaro SS 1LE performance, but don't like the interior or the visibility.

2015 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE Test – Review – Car and Driver

There is no doubt that FORD could engineer the "track pack Mustang" to be every bit as good as the Camaro SS 1LE. I suspect their marketing data has told them that something else is preferred by the biggest group of their "performance buying" customers. Pobst describes the track pack performance as "floaty" with springs and dampers that are still too soft - and he is an expert at analyzing the performance of a car on the track. I'm sure the FORD engineers knew just what they were getting with the springs and dampers they chose for the special package.

I would totally agree with you on the looks of the inside of the Govt Motors Camaro. I was meh on the outside of it at first, sat in one and did not like the guages or the views from the drivers seat. I did not drive it b/c it was a friends car and I just sat in it but at that time I had a GTO. When I saw the Mustang I knew it was for me over the Camaro. However the first ZL1 I saw I was like WOW that thing is bad arsh and forgot about how bad I didn't like the interior lol.

You are probably right about the suspension b/c they obviously didn't do much to stiffen it up a lot other than "heavy duty springs" whatever that means. The good news is I bet w some lowering springs and some koni yellows it would drive like a dream around the track if that's what we wanted. I'm sure there will be more to come and that's whats exciting about being a car guy

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome