Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Let the price gouging begin
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2014
GoHawks63
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
Patience is a virtue. By the end of the cycle Ford will be dumping them for 2k to 3k off...no plan or negotiations necessary.

Right around that time very slightly used or dealer demos will turning up for 5k to 7k off.
Right on. I've gone from buying new cars to now looking at slightly used CPOs.

First time I did that was in 2009 when I purchased a 2006 Mustang Premium Convertible. It was a CPO, had 26K miles and I think I paid $13K for it. I wanted a summer convertible and it was the first one I ever owned. We had it for over 4 years, and only put 14K miles on it during that time until I traded it in last a little over a year ago along with my 2012 Cadillac CTS coupe for a ...... yep.... a CPO 2012 CTS-V coupe.

They gave me $10K on the Mustang in the trade. The dealer was more interested in that Mustang than they were for the CTS (V6) coupe I traded in. The Mustang was clean and had never seen snow.

The '12 CTS-V I found happened to be the exact color and had all the features (loaded) that I would have ordered if I bought new. It was about 2 months newer than the car I traded in (in service date of May '12 versus March '12). It only had 9,800 miles on her with a warranty taking it to 7 years/80K miles. It had an MSRP of $74K and I paid $54K out the door.

A couple of years ago we purchased a CPO 2011 BMW X5 for my wife. $64K car new, I paid $$45K

Earlier this year I purchased a CPO 2010 F150 Lariat Super Crew 4x4. Loaded with Navigation, chrome package and bed cover. It only had 33K miles on her. Super clean. Paid just over $30K.

Then a couple of months ago, missing having a convertible, I picked up a CPO 2011 Mustang GT/CS pictured in my signature. The miles were a little higher than what I have purchased in the past, but it resulted in a decent price that allowed for me to purchase another toy. Got a great deal on a Ford Premium Care extended warranty ($1,100) so I'm covered until 2019 if I keep it that long.

The only drawback with CPO/demos, etc. is that sometimes you have to compromise on colors and options. I was fortunate with my CTS-V that it was the EXACT car I wanted, but often times if you're patient and willing to travel a bit, you'll find it.

The V was about an hour and a half away and the X5 was about the same. The others were all local.

Like I said, not sure I'll ever buy brand new again. I guess it depends.

2016 Roush Stage 3 Phase 2 (727hp) Convertible- Convertible bar, Roush (red) coil covers, blacked out tails, 20% tint

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome