Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - My 2013 Boss' 1.5 month long "BBQ Ticking" Story
View Single Post
post #35 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2014
rob47v
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS MAN 13 View Post
Depends on nationality...................

Yes, pressure lubrication is a controlled leak, what regulates that film of oil to float the crank is bearing clearance, two much clearance and you can't regulate that film, you are then metal on metal and you see scuffing. The crank in the picture shows signs of scuffing. How do you know that I don't do this for a living too...............................?
This is the best explanation of crankshaft to bearing fuction I've heard by far. Yes the crankshaft does ride on a wedge of oil a film controlled by clearence and a direct derevative of oil pressure. Without that film or wedge which ever the term one likes to use, the engine would experience detrimental issues. On most new engines these clearences are as low as .0001-.00013. To me that is still too tight which in the end gives higher temps greater chances for the oil film to deteriorate, which in turn gives more metal to metal contact. Fact the manufactures have gone to a thinner oil to improve their cafe standards. Giving an engine that will last till their warranty under normal use. But fall short if used as we most use our cars, to have fun with. I would love to see a mechanical gauge being used. When I had my ZO6 it had an oil temp reading as the oil temps increased the oil press dropped. Im willing to bet thats also happening to some extent with the 5.0. Most guys switched to better oils to help relieve this problem, it didn't solve it completetly but did reduce it.

Last edited by rob47v; 12-22-2014 at 09:30 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome