Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Engine Fire Won't Start
View Single Post
post #25 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2014 Thread Starter
BuddysMustang
Apprentice

Smile

Hi Matt,

I canceled the order last night out of fear that the Bluetooth Scanner would not help our troubleshooting efforts. Nothing currently on order.

My laptop does not have Bluetooth. However, when I placed the order for the scanner, I also ordered a Kinivo BTD-400 Bluetooth 4.0 adapter that would give my laptop that capability.

The only reason I went with the ScanTool 427201 was that it gave me flexibility for future use. My son has the same Mustang as me and he also has an Android Cell Phone like I do. The 427201 allows wireless operation while driving your car which I thought was pretty cool and my son and I could have some fun with it in the future. (as a side note: ScanTool also has a scanner with a wi-fi connection to a laptop but the reviews on Amazon were not great)

The only other option was the ScanTool 426101 OBDLink MX Bluetooth. This unit supported all 5 OBD-II protocols, plus SW-CAN (GM) and MS-CAN (Ford). I wasn't sure if the additional Ford protocol was needed since it was not specified in the unit you first recommended. The 426101 was also much more expensive than the other options.

Is there a difference in the operation of the Ford Software you want to use between the different communication connections between the OBD Port and the laptop? If not then I prefer to use a wireless connection because I will get more use out of it in the future.

Let me know so I can place an order.
Sorry for the confusion.

Buddy

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome