Ford Mustang Forum banner

first mods, catback vs axleback

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  AMAlexLazarus 
#1 ·
So I was going to buy a Pypes mid muffler catback, but once I checked the forums, people were saying catbacks weren't worth it over axle backs on the newer s197 mustangs. Since the factory piping is good, the catbaacks wouldn't do anything that axlebacks could except delete resonators for a "little more" volume. I need honest opinions on catbacks vs axle backs. Also getting a JLT intake and tuner with it.

#2 ·
Depends on your end goals. If you don't plan on doing much, axlebacks are fine. Honestly, for the price difference, I would rather get my money's worth out of the catback, since it's just a bit more, and then you are deleting the resonators and increasing the pipe diameter.

Stay away from the Roush's if you plan on doing headers at some point. Period.

#3 ·
not sure what you have been reading, The v6 doesnt have resonators. It does, however, have flattened out pipes in some areas. I beleive the pipes are 2.25 and can go down to 2 where the pipes are flattened. This is what i did (when i had a '11 v6), and i think it was well worth it. I bought the borla axel backs and then later added the Dynomax over axle pipes (got from advanced auto for $45 a piece) and had an exhaust shop weld the OEM ball and socket type connections on the ends to i could take it all apart later on if i wanted. The sound difference was much better. There was a slight throttle responce difference but it was probably in my head.

#12 ·
A cat-back system will give you new mandrel bent over-axles, better flow. I don't know about yours but my 12 has two flat spots, one on each side of the over-axles you could play cards and set 40ozs on...

#14 ·
They are mandrel bent from factory but they have flat spots on the part by the gas tank. You can see it just by looking under your car in the parking lot. Its also only 2.25 inches

Search for AMDanBailer he is a site sponser. He is the bro you see in AM's videos.

#15 ·
Axle backs for sound....nothing will increase HP from the stock exhaust....:frown:

#16 ·
+1 on needing headers/high flow cats to improve HP otherwise it is sound alone. fwiw I scored Bassani ab's used and like them but doubt it's what you want. I describe them as European with a bit of decel burble. Know that most systems for the V6 will add some drone....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.