Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Rear End Grind/Whine
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2015 Thread Starter
Bob1974
Rookie

Rear End Grind/Whine

Hey forum - I took my car in to the shop twice now trying to sort out this rear end sound I'm hearing.

From the first visit, I get (spelling a caps from service receipt):

ROAD TESTED AND VERIFIED NOISE ON HIGHWAY. CHECKED BACK LASH FOUND WITHEN SPEC(0.011 SPEC .008-.012) RAN PATTERN ON RING AND PINION. FOUND PINION NEEDS RESHIMMING. PARTS ORDERED.
- SEAL ASY - OI Z00
- BEARING ASY - Z00
- KIT - SPACER N13
- SHIM - DRIVIN N13

I got it back, they said it was all fixed up, but it's louder now IMO. So for the 2nd visit, which I just got back today, I get:

NOISE IS NOT PREVALENT ENOUGH TO BE ABLE TO DIAGNOSE

Here's a video of the sound:
https://youtu.be/eVw3X1kK4y4

I can hear it at highway speeds with the rear seats up, so I folded the seats down to hear it better and I can basically hear it as soon as the car starts rolling. At normal city speeds it's just a bit louder than the AC fan set to the middle with the rear seats down. Obviously it's quite a bit louder outside the car...

How common is this? I'm think I need to go over and ask the shop foreman to go for a drive, but not in my car this time.. in another 2014 off the lot.

Also, it would appear that I put 20,000 miles on the car with a bad pinion depth since they felt it needed an adjustment the first time. I've read that driving even a relatively short distance with an incorrect mesh can ruin a gear set. Maybe only in extreme cases?

Thanks,
--Bob

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome