Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - 6 speed man oil ?
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2016
nyuk98gt
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

MT-82 Users:

I'll throw in my 2 cents for consideration.

Ford originally specified a heavier oil (75W-90, iirc) for the MT-82 but there were complaints about 'nibbling' on the 1-2 shift (and others). The spec was revised (for the '12 model year?) and made retroactive for all MT-82's to a lighter oil (5W-30). There is an additive, XL-18, that Ford adds, too, that makes things more silky, too.

On 'another site', there is a lengthy thread about the trans oil for MT-82's and the recommendation is 75W-90 for hot weather climates (where temperatures don't get below 50 F very often) and 5W-30 for colder climates. My own experience is that I just installed Amsoil MTG (75W-90) and it was a mistake (LOL) because eastern Missouri gets pretty cool and there is a nibble on the 1-2 and 4-5 shifts until things warm up. I work around the 1-2 nibble by starting in 2nd or shifting from 1 to 3. I will be switching to Amsoil MTF Syncromesh fluid (as was recommended....).

Redline MTL is used by some with good success, too. I am not pushing Amsoil, just reporting that it is popular for the MT-82. Some people will add the XL-18, too, to aftermarket fluids but some don't. You pays your money and you takes your chance.

HTH,

Chris

2012 GT 6MT - RTR #59; performance white / charcoal interior
3.73's, AED tune, MGW Race Spec shifter, Airaid MFT, BMR rear LCAs & relo brackets, Panhard rod & brace, FRPP swaybars, MRT a/c H-pipe, LP OTAs, FR GT500 Touring axlebacks, FRPP diff cover, JLT PCV p/s catchcan

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome