Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - new shocks 4 factory suspension
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2016
fullsail
Apprentice

I have driven a few thousand miles on new shocks while waiting for order screwups and a long weekend to install new upgrades. That being said 24,000 miles should be too early for struts and tires. My factory Pirellis lasted 60k miles with a 90 mile day commute at 31-32 psi on my 2011 and 55k miles on my 2012. It was at about 35-40k miles that I replaced my struts on both partially because of the disgust I have with the stock mustang suspension and partly what I could get away with spending at one time under my wife's eagle eyes.

In my opinion if you were to replace your shocks I would wait until May or June when Koni puts their shocks on sale and buy a set of Sport yellows with a set of Maximum Motorsports or Steeda Caster/Camber plates. This is the most solid advice you are going to get. Approximately $1100 in parts for the greatest value.

It may be tempting to go a cheaper route but the only reasonably priced dampers for our cars with good quality are Koni and Bilstein.
It may be tempting to go a cheaper route but the only reasonably priced dampers for our cars with good quality are Koni and Bilstien.
It may be tempting to go a cheaper route but the only reasonably priced dampers for our cars with good quality are Koni and Bilstein.

Everything else contains a compromise of some sort despite the claims. The same applies to your mounting points. New plates will aide in maintenance of your new tires and are far superior to the below average stock plates or the average "upgraded" Ford Racing GT500 mounts. Both of the later will eventually start making popping sounds under the hood.

I have had the the koni yellows (sport) , the koni oranges (strt), the non adjustable ford racing (Tokico?), and stock dampers. I have not had the Bilsteins and have only experienced them in others rides. The only problem being unless the springs are the same it isn't a legit comparison.

Good luck to you.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome