Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Rear brake pads seized?
View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2016
JBert
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighank View Post
You can use the elcheapo cube with various tits on it to fit various calipers. They cost about $5. O . . . . The HF tool has both the CW and CCW twisters and about a dozen different heads to fit almost any caliper made. On sale it is about $35.
Quote:
Originally Posted by physics2010 View Post
Just to be a bit more precise, they twist AND press in when you are resetting them, hence the need for the tool that allows you to compress AND turn.
The tool looks like this Amazon.com: Disc Brake Caliper Piston Compressor Windback Wind Back Pad Tool 12pc W/case: Automotive
Learn from my mistake and don't try one of those stupid cubes. They are a waste of time and money. Get the real kit, they are only about $50 (or less like he said) and they pay for themselves the first time you use them.

But if you already crushed it without turning, yeah you need to buy new calipers. They are about $75/each at Advance Auto or the local parts place. I know because I did this job wrong the first time and they got hung up and so hot that some of the seals melted.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome