Ford Mustang Forum banner

BORLA Touring axle-back muffs

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  dusman59 
#1 ·
I really like the note from the stock mufflers. It's the drone at 2k rpm that's getting annoying. I drive the freeways at that rpm (66-74 mph) with the drone and I have to hear it as the engine goes in and out of 2k as I drive around town. I like noise out the rear of the car and NO WHERE ELSE especially the interior! YES I KNOW! From previous threads on this subject it seems that I'm the only one in the world that has a stock drone, so no need to let me know how quiet your stock setup is.... LOL....

I've listened to alot of sound clips and have decided that the Touring would be the best considering my likes and dislikes. One thing I can't stand in a car is an obnoxious exhaust note.

Anyone had experience with this muffler?

#2 ·
WTF.....:im confused:

I don`t think there is a cure for you with another muffler. The Touring is about what the FRPP muffler is like. It`s a step up in noise from the quietest aftermarket muffler, the OEM GT500 still, though. Nobody reports drone with those three and a nice note emerges otherwise.

You might take the stock resos out and putting in longer, bottle-style resos under the car, in addition to stock mufflers out back.

#3 ·
In chatting with some on-line rep for American Muscle, I was told that drone comes from the muffler. The dude in the video clips on the BORLA website claim no drone with their muffs. CONCLUSION: muffs cause drone.

#4 ·
I have the Borla axle backs on my car but If you don't like the OEM mufflers, you're not going to like these either. I define drone as that sympathetic reverberation / vibration you sometimes get inside the cabin. The Borlas don't do that, but you can certainly hear them at a low level at the cruising speeds you describe. Personally I like them, but again, I doubt you will.

Have you tried removing the sound tube under the hood?

#5 ·
Have you tried removing the sound tube under the hood?
I removed that ugly thing on the day I bought the car!

Thanks for your input. I'd hate to spend $600+ and be disappointed.

I agree with your definition of drone. That's exactly what it is. So if you hear your muffs in the 70 mph arena as I do, you no doubt hear them in city driving at that same rpm. Maybe what I'm hearing is not drone? I've considered that possibility.

#7 ·
Relax, I'm not suggesting mufflers don't cause drone. What I am saying is you are the only person in history that can hear drone from the stock mufflers. Hell, you can barely tell the engine is running with those on. If you detect drone from those ANY aftermarket muffler is going to upset you. Resos like I describe can hush this, though.

#8 ·
...you are the only person in history that can hear drone from the stock mufflers.
I've concluded that what I am hearing is NOT drone.

Hell, you can barely tell the engine is running with those on.
Yes, at idle. But I get the nice note when I give it gas....

If you detect drone from those ANY aftermarket muffler is going to upset you.
I'm not upset.

#10 ·
Tires can also cause a drone type sound. An improper installed body panel may cause the same.

#11 ·
The Borla Touring axlebacks are much louder than factory, especially when getting on the pedal.
You won't be able to drive around unnoticed. In fact, your wife or girlfriend will know when you pull into the garage, or leave for that matter.

The only semi problem I have is that even when I drive normally, some around me hear the exhaust and think I am racing. On the other hand, when I need to get around someone in a hurry, the sound kind of tells them I am near which can be a good thing.

#12 ·
If you don't like to hear the exhaust inside the car then my recommendation is to consider adding sound deadening insulation in the trunk and under the back seat to start with. Then possibly on the interior of the doors under the door liners. I believe that Dynamat material might be a good sound insulator.

#13 ·
^^^+1 The Mustang is one big tin can. I went with a company called second skin and achieved two things. The outside sound in the car was reduced and the shaker 1000 could be turned up substantially with more clarity. Everything in the cabin was much tighter. It was a lot of work but worth it. I used the Damplifier Pro and topped it with Luxury Liner Pro. The areas that are the most needed are the spare tire and trunk areas,under the console, rear seat and quarter panels The downside is that its is not cheap and it adds weight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.