Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Lower Control Arms--To be adjustable or not to be
View Single Post
post #20 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2016
Norm Peterson
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN5.0 View Post
Also maybe we can define the term too? I'm assuming that means the rear axle is not pointed straight ahead....?
Easy question first - yes.

Quote:
JBert brings up a good point - for street DD and occasional Auto X or Drag racing - what is an acceptable thrust angle?

Thanks,

Scott
There may be a spec, but if it's off by enough to notice at the steering wheel as you're driving it's still not good enough (for you, anyway).

When I first put the adjustable LCAs on my car, the axle was out of square by one thread on one side and it was clearly noticeable that the steering wheel wasn't straight when going straight on a level road. When the steering wheel was straight, it would follow a gradual curve in one direction and steer right out of the lane in the other.

One turn of a 10 threads/inch adjuster over a 62" rear track is about 0.13 thrust angle.

After a week or so, I figured out which side to adjust, which way it needed to be adjusted in, about how much to adjust it, and fixed it. It was that annoying.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (the "family sedan")
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (the spare and occasional winter driver)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome