Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Clutch
Thread: Clutch
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2016
XRacer
PONY Member

You're not the only old guy here with a '14 GT and a manual transmission. I am less than two weeks away from my 72 nd. birthday. My '14 GT is the first car I've owned with both a hydraulically actuated clutch and fly by wire throttle. All my other manual cars have had mechanically actuated clutches and throttles. I have just a tick over 15,000 miles on my GT and I am still not as comfortable with the way the clutch and throttle works as I am with my older Mustang and my '72 'Cuda, especially on heel and toe downshifts. That said I don't have anything that would be described as a shudder. Usually when a person experiences a shudder when operating the clutch it's generally the result of either too little throttle or a warped disc or oil contamination of the disc. Given the low miles on your car and the way you describe your driving style, I would bet you're being a little too light on the throttle occasionally. This isn't hard to do with a hydraulic clutch and fly by wire throttle. IMO neither has the direct feel of a mechanical setup. Just as a side note not all of us "more mature[?]" drivers are as gentle in their driving habits as you said you are. I found out in the first day I owned the car that the rev limiter hits at 6,800 rpm, not the 7,000 that I thought was the case. I live in SW. Il. and come to St.Louis often so maybe I'll run into you sometime. If by chance you discover that it is a mechanical defect it would be helpful to post it and let everyone here know what the problem was. Good luck and enjoy your car.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome