Ford Mustang Forum banner

Money where my mouth is!

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Michaelanthony2 
#1 ·
Need some opinions/advice.
I am not a racer, never been in a real drag race in my life (49 years old) but it looks like I might be soon!
Quick back story. I have a 2001 GT which I have sort of turned over to my 17 year old son. Guys at work were bagging on Mustangs in general(not really car guys either.) I shot my mouth off and said "say what you want but my 2001 4.6 is faster than anything any of you own". Forgot one guy has a 72 El Camino, he called me out and wants to wager $500.
So here is the scenario, 1/4mi race to be ran at B.I.R, Wednesday night drags.

The cars: Me- 2001 GT 4.6 auto. Bone stock except for 18" wheels, BBC ceramic shorty headers(I know I know, but that ship has sailed). Recent suspension upgrades include lowered springs, and new shocks and struts. Tires are 235/40zr18.

Him- 1972 El Camino with Olds 455w motor, not built or modified. Transmission is the stock 72' Chevy 3 speed turbo hydramatic. Not sure about tires but can't run slicks, dot or otherwise.

Soooo? Do I have a prayer? Am I a huge underdog or giant favorite? Is it a toss up and comes down to driver/ reaction time? Honestly have no idea!

Also, I am willing to spend about $1000 to win the bet. Where do I spend the money? 3.73 gears? Air intake? Full exhaust? Tuner?

Keeping in mind I want to keep it a daily driver, and am a moderately decent mechanic. Would do all bolt on upgrades myself. Gears I would pay somebody.

Thanks in advance!

Looking forward to doing this, win lose or draw, should be a blast!

See less See more
#2 ·
For the money you want to spend I think you'll get the most bang for your buck out of gears. I had a 1970 El Camino SS that was pretty stock with a 396 and all I can tell you is my sons 2000 GT which is also pretty much stock with the exception of exhaust would not have done well in that race.

#4 ·
It all depends on if he can hook. That El Camino's light in the back, but the Olds 455 is an absolute monster, torque-wise. Long stroke, lightweight for its displacement.

I hate to say it, but if he's got it tuned well enough to run on at least 7 cylinders, you may have a tough time here. lol

Pretty sure you could top-end him due to less drag; if your car was really set up, maybe even take him off the line due to better weight transfer and hook - but from a rolling start, he's got every advantage in acceleration. With nearly 500 lb-ft of torque on tap, that thing's no joke.

On a road course, you'd toast him. But in a straight line? :|

#5 ·
Ha. Yeah that's why I'm asking
I plan on doing more mods in the future. Should of just said I have a thousand more to spend right now. Recently put almost 2k into the headers and suspension and brakes, was planning on full exhaust for his birthday in August. Guess I'll just stick to that plan for now if I have no chance.
It's all good. Still will be a blast. I'll let you know how bad the beating is then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.