View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2019 Thread Starter
paul289
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

'65 T5 short shifter install

Not a question so much as a write-up.

I've just rebuilt my T5, and thought I'd install a short shifter while I've got it out. It's not possible to install a short shifter in a T5 equipped '65-66 Mustang with the transmission in the car. In addition, it's not possible to not cut anything to install it. Even with a factory T5 shifter, the shifter hole will require some clearancing. The factory hole is designed for a Toploader after all, and we're lucky enough to have the T5 shift tower to line up with the factory hole as well as it does. As for the new shifter, I went with a Summit Racing model that's basically a lower-end Steeda Tri-ax. The enlarged shift tower requires a fair bit of clearancing of the hole in order to fit. I had to remove roughly an inch of sheet metal to make it clear. Then, the Scott Drake shift boot wouldn't fit over the shift tower. Looks like I'll need to order up a '69-70 shift boot (which is longer) in order to get it to fit.

Hopefully, I'll be able to finish the transmission install tonight, and get to test out the shifter, along with the billet 3-4 shift keys! Sure, I won't have a shift boot, but since when was that a necessity to go for a spin?

Eventually, I'll get new carpet, and probably enlarge the hole for the shifter, but that's all in the future.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190331_155634.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	609003  

Proud owner of a '65 289 coupe. Equipped with Edelbrock Performer intake, Quick Fuel 680HR carb, ported stock heads, 282 Magnum solid cam, Hedman longtube headers, MSD ignition, and decked and ported heads. T5 transmission with hydraulic clutch. Griggs Racing GR350 suspension. 8.8 rear end. Griggs front & Wilwood rear brakes. Many more mods to come!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome