Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Why am I not hooking up?
View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2019
ONEZ ST
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedknot View Post

Hey Onez. I guess what you're saying is that my heavy, less powerful R/T is a better runner than my lighter, overpowered mustang? I really haven't ran the mustang through it paces at optimal temps and road conditions, but my stock R/T seems quicker and more controlled on the 1/4 mile. I'm damned with gthese tires if I cant harness the 420pony's. Summer on Long Island is too short.
True, if the lightweight car with more power doesn't wear the optimum shoes and can't get technique down to get out of the blocks and make it over the hurdles. In many cases we all have seen where the heavier less powered car has more advantage even if it has less potential.

My charger originally came with 245 wide tires and all they would do is spin whether starting out or flooring it while rolling at 40. It's almost 4400 pounds, with 485 hp and 475 torque. Needless to say I don't have 245 RSA-2 tires on it anymore but the car can still overpower the tires. Often while driving the Dodge, someone with a Mustang or another Dodge wants to showboat with me which I do not do. HP is one thing, torque is another and even heavy weights can outperform lightweights. We have a 1/8 track nearby and while ts not the most powerful street car it certainly holds its own and some. The car is de-badged except the rear deck so most people think its probably an SXT with sewer pipe size exhaust.

On the other end of the spectrum my 2012 GT/R2300 excels the scat pack. It is configured to handle more power than the factory 412 the car came with and the R2300 is intentionally programmed to ramp up and limit to 525 in order to retain the factory converter and auto transmission. However, it will break loos if the power is not modulated carefully from a stop. I simply can't underscore the criticality tires and driver play in any car.

Spend wisely and have fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0167.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	662.7 KB
ID:	612269  

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 GBNF