Aftermarket radio for 2008 Mustang GT: how difficult to install? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Question Aftermarket radio for 2008 Mustang GT: how difficult to install?

Hey guys. I did a search for this and didn't find anything, but I may have overlooked it.

How difficult is it to install an aftermarket stereo in the S197? I got mine with the base 4 speaker stereo because I knew I wanted something other than factory. I already have the technical printouts for the stereo removal, but sometimes things that look simple on paper become royal pains in the real world.

So, for anyone that's already done this, how much effort am I looking at for a radio install? I'm ordering from Crutchfield, so I'll have all the necessary conversion pieces. Just curious about the center console and dash removal.

Thanks a bunch!

~HA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to gunz4me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Armor View Post
Hey guys. I did a search for this and didn't find anything, but I may have overlooked it.

How difficult is it to install an aftermarket stereo in the S197? I got mine with the base 4 speaker stereo because I knew I wanted something other than factory. I already have the technical printouts for the stereo removal, but sometimes things that look simple on paper become royal pains in the real world.

So, for anyone that's already done this, how much effort am I looking at for a radio install? I'm ordering from Crutchfield, so I'll have all the necessary conversion pieces. Just curious about the center console and dash removal.

Thanks a bunch!

~HA
It is pretty easy to install the radio! In fact, it took me longer to solder/heat shrink all my connections to the Crutchfield supplied harness than it did to install the radio AND rear deck speakers. If you want it to go even faster, check to see if they make a "Master Harness" for whatever radio you intend to purchase. Basically the Master Harness is 2x the cost of a regular harness, BUT, it is simply plug and play with no connections to solder!

The only tricky part I had was removing the connector on the passenger side for the AC switch panel controls. I purchased my car used, and when I flipped the lever up, the radio would not come out. Well, the prior owner must have returned it back to stock because that lever was broken and didn't unlatch the other side (the side I couldn't see). I spent 10 minutes scratching my head over that one before I finally figured it out.

Maybe I will buy a 2016 Mustang GT, maybe not...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008
PONY Member
S197 Member

Basically, you open the center console door, and remove the 2 rear screws near the hinge.

Then you pull up in the top part of the center console (2 snaps near the front near the dash).

Once this is up and loose, you can pop off the 2 side panels that are just push-pin connectors as well.

This exposes the screws for the center dash/radio panel. Remove these screws, and pull the center piece forward a little. You will need to reach behind and disconnect the 3 plugs for the A/C controls, and lighter.

Now remove the center piece. This exposes the radio bracket and 4 screws. Remove those, and pull the radio out and disconnect the radio & antenna plugs.

I've done it several times and it takes me about 3-5 minutes to take it apart.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013
Rookie

I know this is an old thread, but I just found this video on YouTube that demonstrates the removal very well. Also, my CD changer jammed up. Is this common with the Shaker 6-disk changer?
How to Remove Radio / CD Changer from 2006 Ford Mustang for Repair - YouTube
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013
PONY Member
S197 Member

Yes, very common. It usually starts with lots of skipping, then it eats disks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page