New sub-woofers for 2000 Mustang? - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Question New sub-woofers for 2000 Mustang?

I was looking for some new subs for my 2000 mustang and was wondering what would sound nice. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008
PONY Member
V6 Member

do you have an aftermarket stereo

if your not first your last!
im not driving too fast your just too slow
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008
Apprentice
S197 Member

How much are you looking to spend? How much trunk room are you willing to give up? What kind of music do you listen to and how loud do you like your bass over the rest of the music?

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008
Apprentice
4.6L Member

I LOVE JL Audio's W6v2 line of woofers. Yes they are a little expensive but well worth it. I find the best deals on Ebay. JL Audio's W6v2 line of woofers out perform just about any other brand and the best part is that the require less box space. For example the recommended PORTED box volume for a 12W6v2 is just 1.5 cubic feet(tuned to 32hz). Some woofers require ported boxes nearly twice the size to reach 32hz. If JL's cost more $ than you are willing to spend I reccomend KICKER. You can find unbeatable deals on JL & KICKER on ebay. Be advised a kicker (and most others)will require a larger box to perform as well as the JL W6v2 line.

Big Thanks to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008
Apprentice
S197 Member

I'll second Kicker. They are really hard to beat for the quality and amount of bass you get for the price. Kicker's L5 and L7's need less than 1cf per sub all the way through 12" sizes in sealed, and less than 1.75cf ported through 12" sizes. I have a pair of L5's that will be going in my trunk as soon as my Mustang arrives. I can highly recommend kicker subs. the things just pound, partially due to the square design pushing more air than its round counterpart. a 12" L5 will move almost as much air as a 15, enabling you to hit deeper bass at louder volumes. the 10's move almost as much air as a round 12. You can effectively go a size lower and still get the sound you are looking for. Remember, the bigger the sub, the better it will be at hitting and sustaining lower frequencies, but it won't do as well with tighter, more rapid bass hits.

I'll also second ebay. Look for High Desert Audio, as they are really hard to beat for amplifier prices.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008
Apprentice
2.3L Member
4.6L Member

I got a 10" Infinity Reference from Crutchfield. It's only getting 200 watts RMS out of it's max of 250, and it sounds pretty good. It's not for if you want to be heard a mile away, but It's prefect for me.
Infinity Reference 1050w 10" 4-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

1989 Ford Mustang Notch
2.3L 5-Speed,
Sonic Blue w/ White Stripes, Cowl Hood, 92-93 SE Style Spoiler, 17x9 Chrome Cobras, MU CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Eibach Pro-Kit, PA 3G, Alpine/Kenwood/Infinity Audio,...

2002 Mustang GT Coupe
4.6L Auto, Black, Alpine/Infinity/Kenwood/Polk Audio, Mach 1 Grill Delete & Chin Spoiler, Smkd Headlights & Fogs, WE Sequentials, Trickflow 70mm TB & Plenum, K&N FIPK, Bama Tunes, Borla Mufflers, MAC O/R H,...
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008 Thread Starter
V6 Member

I'm looking to spend like $250 at the most and I'm willing to give up about one third or maybe a little more trunk space. I don't have an after market stereo either. I listen to rap,rock, alt rock, etc. I like the bass to be up a bit more than the rest of my stereo, but I know I would like a little more bass with nice subs. And thank you for the suggestions I will keep looking at each one.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to james02mustang Send a message via Yahoo to james02mustang
I put in a 12" Pioneer sub with a 760 watt Pioneer amp, Sounds awesome! Also have all four speakers switched to 6x8 220 watt Pioneers and a Pioneer Head Unit which pound hard on their own. Total cost was probably $200 to $250 (w/o Head Unit). Hit up Wal-Mart for a 5ga wiring kit (includes main power, fuse block, batt. terminal, ground and RCA's) for about $25.

James02Mustang
Building a forged 4.2L stroker with a M90 supercharger

Check out -->
mustangjames.blogspot.com
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008
PONY Member
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to Ian1994 3.8L V6
save more money and get something nice. u need to remember your going to have to get an amp, wiring, connectors... ect. that can put you well over $250. save your money and learn your stuff before you buy. i didn't and wasted $500 on worthless ****, that burns up becouse you don't have it wired right or it is just not capable of handling what it says.

"Life's journey in not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming "That was one hell of a ride!"

Too poor to Mod it.
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1994 3.8L V6 View Post
save more money and get something nice. u need to remember your going to have to get an amp, wiring, connectors... ect. that can put you well over $250. save your money and learn your stuff before you buy. i didn't and wasted $500 on worthless ****, that burns up becouse you don't have it wired right or it is just not capable of handling what it says.
Ian's right. $250 won't buy you much of anything by the time you get it installed and add wires, etc. You need to plan to put at least $500 in to get solid bass
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to james02mustang Send a message via Yahoo to james02mustang
Read the instructions! If you can't afford to have your equipment professionally installed (always over priced) then carefully read all of the provided material and take your time with the project. Get everything you need before you start and follow along step by step. Don't just listen to what you buddy says or go by what you think you know.

James02Mustang
Building a forged 4.2L stroker with a M90 supercharger

Check out -->
mustangjames.blogspot.com
Apprentice
4.6L Member

$250 may not get you much in local stores but you can get some nice KICKERS from ebay. Are you planning on running one sub or a pair? What size 10" or 12"? IF you chose to run two woofers they will only fit if you use a sealed enclosure. Sealed boxes require less volume than ported but do not provide as deep of bass as ported. If you chose to use only one sub you can use a ported box. Ported boxes have a higher output per\watt and deeper bass, but the bass response is not as linear. SO TO SUM THIS UP, if you want deep ground pounding bass that can be felt & heard for blocks get one 12" sub and use a ported box. If you listen to a lot of rock and want a good linear bass response that covers a wide range(like drums) get a pair of 10"s(or 12"s if they will fit) and use a sealed enclosure.

Big Thanks to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
PONY Member
V6 Member

for around 250 just go with sony xplod system they are fairly cheap and sound good or search around for kicker comps or cvr they are really good best bang for buck id say

if your not first your last!
im not driving too fast your just too slow
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKevo View Post
$250 may not get you much in local stores but you can get some nice KICKERS from ebay. Are you planning on running one sub or a pair? What size 10" or 12"? IF you chose to run two woofers they will only fit if you use a sealed enclosure. Sealed boxes require less volume than ported but do not provide as deep of bass as ported. If you chose to use only one sub you can use a ported box. Ported boxes have a higher output per\watt and deeper bass, but the bass response is not as linear. SO TO SUM THIS UP, if you want deep ground pounding bass that can be felt & heard for blocks get one 12" sub and use a ported box. If you listen to a lot of rock and want a good linear bass response that covers a wide range(like drums) get a pair of 10"s(or 12"s if they will fit) and use a sealed enclosure.
Actually sealed boxes go lower than ported. A ported box below the tuning frequency really starts to drop off, while a sealed box will continue to extend into subsonic frequencies. You are correct, however, that the response curve is much more peaky and overall output is higher. It will give you the ground pounding bass you're talking about at the expense of sound quality and space, while sealed boxes give you tighter, punchier bass and allow your woofer to handle more power.

As far as the $250, it will get you a decent pair of kickers, but you've forgotten completely about the amp, wiring, etc. To run a 500w system (think a couple of CompVR's) you need at least 4 gauge wiring. Start going higher (L5's and up) and you're getting into 1/0 gauge with larger fuses. That stuff is expensive. Altogether you're looking at probably $100 in just wiring, connectors, etc. Additionally, you really do need to get a good, efficient class D or class BD mono amp. This is not something you want to skimp on as these amps are more efficient and draw less current from your alternator for the same output, meaning less dimming of lights, etc. A quality 500w amp is going to run your at least a couple hundred. I'd recommend rockford or kicker amps. I've found rockford to be slightly cheaper, and when you get into the power series they have built-in fan cooling. Add all this up and by the time you get it all and get it shipped you're looking at ~$500, and that is installed yourself, building your own box, etc.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Yea I knew I would most likely need to go over $250, but I was thinking I would like a pair of 10" enclosed subs. I would rather enjoy a better sound than be really loud. Is there any deals where I could get the subs, wiring, and amp all together or are those kind of packages usually bad quality?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page