Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Alarms (/forums/audio-video-navigation-alarms/)
-   -   hard wiring an inverter? (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/audio-video-navigation-alarms/114600-hard-wiring-inverter.html)

jash7 04-23-2008 08:42 PM

hard wiring an inverter?

i need to hard wire a power inverter. i'm not really sure how to do this, but i hear things about "fuse tapping"? just thought some of you guys might have some ideas. btw - it's crucial that the inverter powers on and off with the cars ignition. thanks :shiny:

jrowledge 04-23-2008 09:02 PM

Help me out, what for, what kind of wattage? You will probably need to connect this with a battery cable size wire depending on how large an inverter you install. If you have the inverter read the requirements for the power supply.

jash7 04-23-2008 09:59 PM

sorry, i dont think i worded this well. i have the inverter, it works well when plugged into the cigerette lighter and everything works well. all i want to know is how to hardwire the inverter. and i want it to turn on when i turn on the car and shut off when i shut the car off.

BigKevo 04-24-2008 03:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Since it is small inverter and does not draw too many amps you can get away with using a fuse tap, seen below. You plug it directly in to your fuse block. If you put it in the right location (any location that is off when the key is off) it will turn on&off with your ignition. Sometimes you can find a extra unused fuse slot on the fuse block, if not use a fuse that does not have much load.

jash7 04-24-2008 05:08 PM

thats exactly what i need. where can i get one? it's a 200W inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter so i guess it only needs 12.5.

BigKevo 04-24-2008 06:40 PM

Most auto parts stores sell them and I've seen them at Walmart before.

jash7 04-27-2008 04:49 PM

i went there and they wanted too much for it. is there another way to get the power i need?

BigKevo 04-27-2008 05:06 PM

There are a few more ways. One of the easiest would be to cut the wire that feeds your cigarette lighter, strip both ends, add your wire and use a wire nut to screw them all together.

jash7 04-27-2008 07:36 PM

yeah but then i lose a cigerette lighter. i apreciate all your help though. is there anything else?

tipcat 04-28-2008 04:38 PM

Cut the wire that goes to the cigarette lighter, connect the inverter wires to the cig lighter wires, and you don't lose the lighter. You can generally tap into any wire that works off the ignition... Scotchlite connectors can allow you to splice onto the existing wires. Otherwise use a fuse thingy. there are a lot of options... some will cost a few cents, others a few dimes. Wander around an auto parts store or Radio Shack and see what sort of splices or connectors they have.

jash7 04-29-2008 06:04 PM

cigarette lighter would still work? you sure?

tipcat 04-30-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jash7 (Post 999901)
cigarette lighter would still work? you sure?

Provided you still have the supply going to the ciggy lighter, as well as your inverter, then yes.