hard wiring an inverter? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008 Thread Starter
V6 Member

hard wiring an inverter?

i need to hard wire a power inverter. i'm not really sure how to do this, but i hear things about "fuse tapping"? just thought some of you guys might have some ideas. btw - it's crucial that the inverter powers on and off with the cars ignition. thanks :shiny:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to jrowledge
Help me out, what for, what kind of wattage? You will probably need to connect this with a battery cable size wire depending on how large an inverter you install. If you have the inverter read the requirements for the power supply.

Jim
2007 GT/CS, Vista Blue, FRP 200hp supercharger, Ford Racing GTA mufflers, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust,GT-500 rear spoiler, FRP short throw shifter. Eibach Mutli-Pro Coil Over Suspension, BMR K Member & Adjustable Lower Control Arms, Steeda Bump Steer Kit, Steeda X-5 Ball Joints,Maximum Caster Camber Plates(required maching my Steeda Billet strut tower brace end mounts), CHE Adjustable Lower Contols Arms and Anti Squat Brackets. GT-500 wheels and tires, Ford Racing 14" Brembo brake set-up.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008 Thread Starter
V6 Member

sorry, i dont think i worded this well. i have the inverter, it works well when plugged into the cigerette lighter and everything works well. all i want to know is how to hardwire the inverter. and i want it to turn on when i turn on the car and shut off when i shut the car off.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Since it is small inverter and does not draw too many amps you can get away with using a fuse tap, seen below. You plug it directly in to your fuse block. If you put it in the right location (any location that is off when the key is off) it will turn on&off with your ignition. Sometimes you can find a extra unused fuse slot on the fuse block, if not use a fuse that does not have much load.
Attached Images

Big Thanks to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008 Thread Starter
V6 Member

thats exactly what i need. where can i get one? it's a 200W inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter so i guess it only needs 12.5.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Most auto parts stores sell them and I've seen them at Walmart before.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008 Thread Starter
V6 Member

i went there and they wanted too much for it. is there another way to get the power i need?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008
Apprentice
4.6L Member

There are a few more ways. One of the easiest would be to cut the wire that feeds your cigarette lighter, strip both ends, add your wire and use a wire nut to screw them all together.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008 Thread Starter
V6 Member

yeah but then i lose a cigerette lighter. i apreciate all your help though. is there anything else?
Rookie
S197 Member

Cut the wire that goes to the cigarette lighter, connect the inverter wires to the cig lighter wires, and you don't lose the lighter. You can generally tap into any wire that works off the ignition... Scotchlite connectors can allow you to splice onto the existing wires. Otherwise use a fuse thingy. there are a lot of options... some will cost a few cents, others a few dimes. Wander around an auto parts store or Radio Shack and see what sort of splices or connectors they have.

2014 GT Premium ... Black ... Brembo Pkg ...
STEEDA CAI, Bama 93P tune
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008 Thread Starter
V6 Member

cigarette lighter would still work? you sure?
Rookie
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jash7 View Post
cigarette lighter would still work? you sure?
Provided you still have the supply going to the ciggy lighter, as well as your inverter, then yes.

2014 GT Premium ... Black ... Brembo Pkg ...
STEEDA CAI, Bama 93P tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page