amp/speaker question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008 Thread Starter

amp/speaker question

So right now i have a Fusion 12" sub with a 500 watt amp and im soon to be getting all new speakers and head unit. im going to be getting Polk DX7 5x7" for my rears and Rockford Fosgate T162S 6.5" speakers for the front with a Pioneer Premier deh-p600ub head unit. I would like your guys''s inputs as to what amp i should get to replace the one i have, i would like to run all my speakers and sub off of this amp or maybe get two amps? im really new to this audio stuff so i dont know whats possible lol. also, i was wondering what you guys think of the speakers and head unit i want to go with. any feedback is grately appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

RF and Polk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL3viL View Post
So right now i have a Fusion 12" sub with a 500 watt amp and im soon to be getting all new speakers and head unit. im going to be getting Polk DX7 5x7" for my rears and Rockford Fosgate T162S 6.5" speakers for the front with a Pioneer Premier deh-p600ub head unit. I would like your guys''s inputs as to what amp i should get to replace the one i have, i would like to run all my speakers and sub off of this amp or maybe get two amps? im really new to this audio stuff so i dont know whats possible lol. also, i was wondering what you guys think of the speakers and head unit i want to go with. any feedback is grately appreciated.
My rule of thumb with amps is that better is better - don't get too bogged down with high power numbers, but focus on how well-featured and clean the unit is. I also like simple vs complex, so I'd look around for one unit that could carry the entire load, rather than 2. With just the one sub, this should be no big deal. Whatever amp you pick, allow for some headroom - you want it to be able to carry your current load, and if I were you, I'd have enough left for it to handle a second sub in case one day you go that way.

Don't scrimp on the wiring, either. Cheap wires will just mean that your equipment works overtime just heating up wire.

I like the Polk products, and RFs are just fine too. Can't comment on the Pioneer, not familiar with it.

tripleblack

"You can never be free until you let yourself go."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008
S197 Member

I would recomend keeping the amp/sub set up you have now. In my last car a had a Rockford 450.4 powering my speakers. I got it for like $150. from ikesound.com. Its a really nice amp and I liked being able to use the crossovers seperate from the sub amp. The only downside is you'll have to buy a multi amp wiring kit, but try ebay and that site I mentioned and you should find a good deal. Good luck with what ever you go with.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008
2.3L Member

Keep your pioneer head unit. I have owned nothing but, and dont intend on using any other brand.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to gunz4me
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89LXVert2.3L View Post
Keep your pioneer head unit. I have owned nothing but, and dont intend on using any other brand.
+1 on the Pioneer. I only use Pioneer or Alpine head units because to me they sound the best.

ETA: If you go with the Rockford Fosgate 25 to Life Power 1000, it is a huge ******* at 12.8" x 23"... I almost scrapped mine until I figured out where to mount it.

Maybe I will buy a 2016 Mustang GT, maybe not...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008
Apprentice

Buy an amp that matches the RMS of the speakers, you will get the best sound and won't over power you speakers.

And my 2c, pioneer sucks , especially their amps. You have a good speaker selection, just don't forget to put down some dynomat first so that you will get good sound without the metal distortion. Also it all depends on how much space you have for the amp. If you have the room I have always run two with a electronic crossover to help seperate everything. I have always had great sound.

Pic attached is of the Skyline that I had in Japan. It sounded very clean. Don't skimp of the patch/speaker cables or power wires. And yes I did the complete build/install
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sub&ampskyline.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	376.7 KB
ID:	50260  

If you want to drive slow, get out of my lane.
2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 (DD)
1995 Mustang GT 5.0
2001975 Mercury Comet 306(sold)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Send a message via MSN to cogdillb Send a message via Yahoo to cogdillb
only problem with all of the pioneer head units i have ever had. (5 or more ) is after a while the CD doesnt want to eject properly. Alpine head units are probably the better overall. even though they are a little more on the expensive side. but you get what you pay for

Brandon Cogdill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page