1991 Mustang GT Subwoofer Enclosure - Need Help! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008 Thread Starter
Apprentice

1991 Mustang GT Subwoofer Enclosure - Need Help!

I have a 1991 Mustang GT Hatchback. I plan on installing 2 Kicker 12" CVX's or 2 Kicker 12" L7's.

I have been searching high and low for a nice ported/vented box with around 2 cubic feet of interior volume per chamber tuned to between 30 and 35hz.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer who produces a box that will fit in the back of my hatch without doing a rear seat delete kit?

OR

Does someone know how to tune a ported box? (If I were to build one myself)

Jeff's 1991 Ford Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008
5.0L Member

I bought a dual sealed 10" enclosure that fits in the hatch area under the cargo cover. I'm not sure if you're going to find a dual 12" vented box that will fit without folding down the rear seats though. Go on the Q-logic website or Crutchfield site and see what they make. Take the dimensions and measure how much room you have to work with and minus at least half an inch on each measurement for unforeseen issues.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I could settle for a sealed box but how would it sound with two CVX's powered by two Kenwood X1R Amps?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008
5.0L Member

Not familiar with the CVX's. It's been a while since I needed to but subs. As far as amps go Kenwood(for amps anyway wouldn't be in my top 3, but they're pretty good) is fine. It doesn't matter so much what amp you get so long as it is clean and rated at its true wattage. I've always bought Rockford amps-never disappointed me and there is no truer rating than what is stated on them.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Would i match up the rms rating on the amp to the rms rating on the sub? or can i run a 1200w rms amp on a sub that is rated at 750rms 1500peak?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to gunz4me
What dimensions do you have to work with? I can design you an enclosure if you can give me the dimensions. I won't build it for you, but, you can either build it yourself or get someone else to build it for you.

ETA: Also, let me know what frequency you want your box tuned at because I have design software that will allow me to do exactly what you are asking

Maybe I will buy a 2016 Mustang GT, maybe not...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009
5.0L Member

Never pay any attention to peak watts. It means essentially nothing except for lesser audio manufacturers to try and make it sound like their equipment is rated high, which is usually just the opposite when looking at the only rating that matters-RMS. Always buy an amp that is rated equal to or less than what the sub is rated at in RMS wattage. Otherwise you risk damaging the sub. Always look at the RMS ratings and pay no mind to peak. In your example-"1200w rms amp on a sub that is rated at 750rms 1500peak" this is the opposite of what you want. You can underpower a sub and it is fine but never overpower one or you risk damage.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
What dimensions do you have to work with? I can design you an enclosure if you can give me the dimensions. I won't build it for you, but, you can either build it yourself or get someone else to build it for you.

ETA: Also, let me know what frequency you want your box tuned at because I have design software that will allow me to do exactly what you are asking

Well I came up with a design that fits the perameters I have to work with but I may have you double check the port for me if you are able to do that? It is tuned according to the12volt.com calculator. I have some Solid Works drawings I can email you.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009
S197 Member

Go to autosoundandstyle.com

I would say autosoundandstyle.com would be your best bet they have built for me and my buddies. Boxes look great but more important they sound outstanding and fit into the trunk!
Rookie

is there anyway to make a sub enclosure to fit where the spare tire goes? possibly with two 10" or maybe even 2 12" subs
Apprentice

I had 2 12" CVX's in a sealed enclosure in a 2002 GT, and they sound great sealed. I had the dual 2-ohm voice coil ones paired with a Rockford Fosgate® - T1500-1bd which gives out 750Watts RMS x2, which is great b/c each speaker is 750 RMS each.

2012 GT Premium/Auto/Race Red w/Charcoal Black 'n Cashmere
HID Security/Comfort Package/19" Machined Aluminum Wheels/Remote Start/Rearview Cam/Borla S-Type Cat-Back/JLT CAI/93 Bama Race Tune
Rookie

you can fiberglass a box where the spare goes and put to tens or one twelve and still lay flat but you can go a wild as u want with the glass and make it look custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
box , enclosure , subs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page