Whose good with a Multimeter? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Whose good with a Multimeter?

I think I have a short somewhere because when I went out today to go somewhere my car wouldn't start and the battery was dead. I have a multimeter that someone gave me but I've never used it. I want to figure out how to measure if there is a draw on the battery and how much. I've been told that the computer and alarm pull around 20 - 50 milliamps so anything above that will mean somethings drawing power. Also, if you can tell me how to check if the battery is good or not. Once I figure out the power is being drawn then I can get into the fuse box and figure out where(fun)
I bought the battery about a year ago so it should still be good but I have heard some horror stories about Optima batteries. Hopefully, that isn't the case since that ******* was expensive!

This is the multimeter I have:

Thanks!

John

'03 Mustang GT, Maximum Motorsports Max Grip Box, Wilwood SL6 front/DL4 rear Big Brake Kit, Corbeau F1X Racing Seats, MGW Short Shifter, MAC Long Tube Headers/Prochamber mid pipes/Flowmaster 40, FRPP 4.10 gears, TrickFlow Diff Cover/ 75mm TB/Plenum, Moser 31 spline Axles, UDP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009
GT Member
S197 Member

Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. Plug the red lead into the left socket marked 10A and the black lead into the center com. Selector switch to amps (DCA). Hook up the meter in series-red lead to the battery terminal, black lead to the ground wire. You should be reading the draw with the key off. Make sure the battery is charged.

Frank

2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Brembos, Auto, GT500 Axlebacks.

SOLD! 2008 GT Premium, Vapor Metallic, 5-speed stick w/MGW, Ford Racing M6066 Whipple S/C, 3.31 gear, GTA's. GT500 front end, spoiler, suspension and wheels. Sequentials and one touch. - can't wipe the smile off my face.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009
Apprentice

You could take your car up to an auto store. (ie: autozone; advance auto parts) they will check your battery and alternator for free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page