Aftermarket radio install help - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009 Thread Starter
Rookie

Aftermarket radio install help

Alright guys, I bought an aftermarket radio (a Sony xplod cdx-r3000) model, and am having trouble installing it.

I went out and bought a schoche install wiring kit, part # FDK106, and took out my stock radio and cd player (two seperate units).

Anyways, I can't get any audio to come out. After I took out the radio, I had three plugs. The big rectangle plug for power etc, a square 8pin one (for the audio apparently), and than a 6 pin one which was traced back to the cd player underneath it. I hooked them all up according to the instructions, plugged it in, and the cdplayer comes on and plays, but no sound.

The guy at the audio install place told me it should be plug and play, since it's not the premium cd player kit, and that a bypass isn't needed.

On the back of the package, it says: For Bose/JBL/Premium Sound equipped vehicles, Scoche FAI-3 Sound Interface is required. The problem is, I was told that it's not the premium sound system so why don't I have any sound? Please help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009
Apprentice
V6 Member

i had the same problem...i found out that i used the wrong connector in the car...the one i needed was at the bottom i had to reach down for it....couldnt see it otherwise...that could be the same thing..

1995 auto v6: Bullet wheels, AM cold air intake..thats about it for now...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009
SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

It's the connector. You need that interface, irregardless of what the guy said. Factory amplifiers for the premium sound don't work with aftermarket head units without the right connector.

AFM Site Administrator
Member: Mustang Club of America #82740, White Mustang Registry #362, NMRA, Fun Ford Weekend, Mustangs of Burlington

MOOG Certified Technician
For mods and sound clips, see profile and gallery.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009 Thread Starter
Rookie

I went out and got the schoche interface. All it does is one end hooks into the radio's wiring harness (8 speaker wires), the other hooks into the aftermarket harness. I hooked it up and the box started smoking and you could smell something burning. I am 100% sure I have the wires in correctly, I triple checked them to the schematic.

I went to bestbuy afterwards to look for another interface, and they had a meguiar (?) wiring install kit, and all they had was the long rectangle plug, and the 8 pin radio plug. They too said that's all that's needed, and they didn't even have a part# to use for the interface.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to spdjnky_42
Look in your radio wiring dia find the colors of the speakers wires. Run new wires conn to the Sony's audio out to your speakers. If you have a factory amp then you have to bypass it as it is no longer powered. You do not need them w/ upgraded head units anyways.

When the green light drops...
The Bullsh!t stops. :shiny:
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009
Rookie
5.0L Member

i did the same thig as you are trying but used a alpine cda-9856 first i pulled out my deck both (i too have the factory amps) from bestbuy i bought a wiring harness no. 70-5514 for ford premium sound system amplifier eliminator harness gsxl.

there came 3 plugs, one for eliminating the amps which you probly dont need

the other two you want to connect the wires to those coming off of you new harness on the radio, then plug those two harnessesinto the matching connectors comming from the dashboard then turn on and listen

1995 gt 5.0 302ci t-5 tranny, magnaflow exhaust,bbk cold air, 18" chip Foose speedster rims on toyo proxies t1r tires, centerforce dual friction clutch, b&m ripper shifter
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009

what if...

ok so they sell the kits to bypass the amps..but what if i wan to use the amps that are in the car...do i need to go in and re wire anything..or do they sell the kits to hook the radio up thro the amps...?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009
PONY Member

There is no need to re-wire anything for using the stock amps (mach460). The only thing you need is the correct aftermarket wiring harness. Sorry, don't remember much but the best way to tell is by having RCA jacks on the harness (some don't).

2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 M6 - Stock
1988 Mustang Notch 2.3 5 speed - 100% stock down to cassette player! - SOLD
2000 Mustang GT - (White) - yeah, its modified. *SOLD* (2012-2013)
2000 Mustang GT (Blue), 5 speed Saleen Clone *SOLD* (2008-2011)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009

i need to find the fire wire, i am installing a new radio, took the factory one out.ff

i need help figuring which is the fire wire for this new radio. anybody help please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page