Shaker 500 speaker upgrade 2006 Mustang, Help! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Shaker 500 speaker upgrade 2006 Mustang, Help!

I have a 2006 GT with the shaker 500 stereo. Everything is stock and I want to replace the front door and rear deck speakers, I think mine are blown. I bought 2 pair of Polk db571 5x7's for both the front and back. I had the front ones installed today and they sound like crap! The range of sound is very limited, and there is quite a bit of distortion present. What is my best bet with replacing these speakers and getting a good sound. I was pretty much okay with the factory stuff, I think I just like the radio too loud (hence the busted speakers). Are component speakers a better way to go for the front doors? I don't know much at all about car audio, please help!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have. - Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009
SHELBY GT 500 Member

How loud are you cranking them up? You blew all of the speakers?
There is no way those Polks should sound like crap. They are distorting because you either have them up too loud or your amps are fried.
If that is the case, you are going to have to go with an aftermarket system to handle the power you require.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

I know these are good speakers. I guess my question is: what should I do to get the optimum sound here, with what I have. I am assuming the factory speakers were blown, they were fuzzy, crackling, etc. The door subs are fine.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfrisch View Post
How loud are you cranking them up? You blew all of the speakers?
There is no way those Polks should sound like crap. They are distorting because you either have them up too loud or your amps are fried.
If that is the case, you are going to have to go with an aftermarket system to handle the power you require.
I have my stereo volume at about 50%-bass at about 50%-treble about 55%(maybe higher)-spekers faded a little to the back.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009

I thought the shaker 500 was lacking also.

I had DLS 5x7's installed front and rear, and a soundstream 5 channel 800w amp. I love the sound very clear highs, lows, and mids. Originally the door subs were very muddy. They rewired the subs in series, which raised the impedance, and they are nice and tight now.

I have a convertible, so the rears are on the sides not in the rear deck, but I like the DLS speakers.

The whole thing installed with a Bass knob (which allows you to control the subs independantly) cost me $650. You should expect to pay a little more though, the place that installed for me, is a client of mine and I'm sure I got a break.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009
V6 Member
S197 Member

the polk speakers sound like crap because they need an aftermarket amp u dont need the best amp just get something to give them the extra power they are thirsty for
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

I actually did get an amp for these speakers, an alpine mrp-f450 4 channel. Now they sound like they are supposed to!:nogrinner

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009
V6 Member
S197 Member

haha nicee...how did they sound...i am looking to replace all my speakers too not really sure which ones i should get...i need something veryyyy loud lol since im gonna throw a nice 15" L7 in the back =P
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to gunz4me
Good luck shoe horning a 15" sub into the back.... Well unless you ditch your spare, then it is easier!

Maybe I will buy a 2016 Mustang GT, maybe not...
V6 Member
S197 Member

haha believe me i knoww...i had it in my old car (97 stratus) =/ haha but the box deosnt fit in the trunk of the mustang so im going to get a nice custom fiberglass one to shnazzz it up a lil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page