Head Unit Installation fiasco - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009 Thread Starter

Head Unit Installation fiasco

Hi, I've had this pioneer head unit sitting in my room for some time now and I bought the wrong wire harness at first but now I finally have the right one. I have a Mach 460 sound system in my car so I had to buy a different one that the guy at Best Buy said I needed. So my friend and I were wiring it up yesterday and we got it all wired up and I turned on my car and there is a loud pop and then my head unit turns on. I'vd heard before that the loud pop is car amp being over powered or something by the head unit so I need to bypass my cars amp. I have the bypass wiring harness but now there are two problems...

A) my head unit isn't working anymore... after that loud pop, I turned my car off and then a little while later I turned it back on and no head unit no pop no nothing. I checked all the fuses and none of them are blown, and I plugged my stock radio back in and that has power so that leads me to believe that something is wrong with the head unit.

B) I have no idea how to bypass anything hahahaha.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajschade187 View Post
Hi, I've had this pioneer head unit sitting in my room for some time now and I bought the wrong wire harness at first but now I finally have the right one. I have a Mach 460 sound system in my car so I had to buy a different one that the guy at Best Buy said I needed. So my friend and I were wiring it up yesterday and we got it all wired up and I turned on my car and there is a loud pop and then my head unit turns on. I'vd heard before that the loud pop is car amp being over powered or something by the head unit so I need to bypass my cars amp. I have the bypass wiring harness but now there are two problems...

A) my head unit isn't working anymore... after that loud pop, I turned my car off and then a little while later I turned it back on and no head unit no pop no nothing. I checked all the fuses and none of them are blown, and I plugged my stock radio back in and that has power so that leads me to believe that something is wrong with the head unit.

B) I have no idea how to bypass anything hahahaha.
I can only speak from experience on 2005+ Mustangs, but it sounds like you have the same problem as us. Our amps take a +5vdc turn-on signal from the OEM head unit. Aftermarket HUs put out +12vdc. Therefore the POP when the amp gets turned on. You need to make a 5vdc voltage regulator and put it between your HU amp turn on wire and the wiring harness. Just search the forum for info on the regulator. Good luck!

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

In case you didn't check, there should be an in-line fuse on the +12v wire for your aftermarket head unit. You might want to check it first.

As 2k5gtc said, I agree that the pop sound is unrelated to your new unit not working. It's most likely as he said; your remote voltage is +12vdc but your amps require 5vdc or some other odd voltage. This can be fixed by splicing a resistor in-line with the remote wire to your amps, which will bring the voltage down to the proper level.

You might want to do some reading on car stereo installation if you don't know much about it. It's easy to ruin things if you don't know what you're doing but once you learn the ways, you'll find that you can get a lot of free 12 packs by installing stereos for people.

Black 2005 Mustang v6, 5 speed, IUP, EUP and Leather.

Razzi 1/4 window scoops, Mustang GT Sway Bars, Flowmaster American Thunder Single Exhaust, Clear Front Turn Signal Lenses, Demolet CAI, X-cal2 91 tune, Hurst Comp/Plus Shifter, FRPP T-Lock, Ford 3.73 gears

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009 Thread Starter

Well, I'm also think of putting in a sub and a new amp... I don't need a regulator or anything if I use the new amp right?

The wiring harness I have is a bypassing wiring harness... it has all the wires for power and illumination and everything and all the speaker wires are represented as well. I hooked both of these harnesses up... but there is also a third harness that came in the pack, it has all the same colors as the speaker wires but only I don't know where it goes or if I even need it.

I don't want to have to buy a regulator or anything if I already have one... I've been down that road before and now I'm out $80. hahaha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
audio , head unit , radio , tech problems , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page