Kenwood or Pioneer? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Kenwood or Pioneer?

Hey guys

I am looking for a in dash dvd navigation system.

I think it has come down to either the Pioneer AVIC-Z2 or the Kenwood DNX8120. The good thing about the Pioneer is that you actually have a hard drive to copy songs onto, but with the kenwood you could purchase the Kenwood Music Keg KHD-CX910. And with the music keg from kenwood you can actually take that one out of your car and connect it to your computer. That way you are able to both copy music and movies onto your hard drive a lot faster than with the Pioneer.

I was at this car audio retail store the other day, and they basically only sold kenwood units, so of course they recommended me to go with the Kenwood DNX8120.

But what is the best? Any suggestions, or other models you would recommend?

2005 Ford Mustang V6 2-Dr Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009
S197 Member

Pioneer i have always had pioneer and would never go any other way. you will not be disapointed at all. I just got a pioneer double din its the avic-4000 it looks great i cant wait to get it in my mustang.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009
Banned
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to 05horse Send a message via MSN to 05horse Send a message via Yahoo to 05horse
pioneer all the way

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009
Rookie

i would got with pioneer, there interfaces (menu style) is so much better looking then kenwood. Also the icon are bigger. Some people complain about boot up time but the make firmware upgrades.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009
GT Member
S197 Member

FWIW, I just put a Kenwood in my '08 and my home stereo is a Kenwood. Hasn't done me wrong yet.

Each of the units you named is reviewed on www.cnet.com, if that might help you make your decision.

2008 Mustang GT Premium, coupe, GT500-esque conversion, standard, torch red w/dark charcoal interior, K&N CAI, BBK twin 62mm throttle body, BBK tuned shorty headers, SCT SF3 / X3 Power Flash Preloaded Custom Tuner, Steeda UDPs, MGW shifter, 18" chrome GT500 wheels, turn signal side mirrors. Torch Red Registry #249

2013 Lexus RX350, 270 HP V6, Fire Agate/Parchment

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009
Rookie

Honestly man, ive owned the AVIC-z2 and will never own another one. I primarily used the my ipod with it and scrolling through the ipod was for lack of a better word.. painful. I had a lot of music on my ipod and reaching an artist would often take minutes to get to and if you clicked the wrong thing then you had to start at the top of list again. I never ripped music to the harddrive but I can only imagine the menu scrolling is just a slow there. Not telling you not to get the z2 as it is a great unit, but if you will be using an ipod then look elsewhere. Other than the slow menus, the nav was pretty good and was just as accurate as a Garmin that I tested it against.

Resale value is never a consideration when modding a car you love.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009
PONY Member

I have the Kenwood 7120, which is now the 8120. IT IS AWESOME. Plus it has Garmin Nav which is the best you can get. I would go with the Kenwood.

2008 Dark Candy Red V6 Coupe 220hp/232torq SOLD
2006 F250 XLT 6.0L Turbo Diesel Innovative Xtreme Street Tune
1967 Coupe w/ 289 Auto
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009
GT Member
S197 Member

I don't know about nav. systems (b/c I don't want one), but if it's music you're after, I LOVE the USB port on my HUs. I purchased the units I did specifically b/c they have the USB port. That's the only way to go! I have about 2.75GB of music on a 4GB stick. That's ALL the music on my computer that I might ever want to hear. I just put it on random and I'm good to go. I like to be surprised! :hihi:
And there's no messing with the Ipod, controls, extra cords, etc.

2008 Mustang GT Premium, coupe, GT500-esque conversion, standard, torch red w/dark charcoal interior, K&N CAI, BBK twin 62mm throttle body, BBK tuned shorty headers, SCT SF3 / X3 Power Flash Preloaded Custom Tuner, Steeda UDPs, MGW shifter, 18" chrome GT500 wheels, turn signal side mirrors. Torch Red Registry #249

2013 Lexus RX350, 270 HP V6, Fire Agate/Parchment

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page