What's the best sounding, looking, value stereo receiver available? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

it just depends i used to run my pickup in db drags i had 6 15" visoniks 2 10" visoniks 3 6400 watt amps and one 2400 watt and in two years i went through two pioneers, a jvc, a sony, and a alpine kept on toasting and then i went and bought a cheaper duel brand and ran that duel for 5 years with not one problem and it was only 80 bucks not the most pretty but very reliable

08 BULLITT
95 MUSTANG-CARBURATED 331 DSS RACING STROKER,ALL FORGED,EDELBROCK ALUM. HEADS WITH 2.08/1.96 VALVES DOUBLE COIL SPRINGS AND HARLAND SHARP ROLLER ROCKERS,COMPLETE MSD IGNITION SYSTEM,LONG TUBES WITH DUEL 3 INCH EXHAUST WITH X PIPE,BUILT WORLD CLASS T5 WITH KING COBRA CLUTCH,COMPLETE COBRA REAR END SWAP WITH 4.10 GEARS AND MOSER AXLES,BBK CONTROL ARMS,SWAY BARS, AND SPRINGS,BILSTEN YELLOW SHOCKS,ALL GOOD FOR 392RWHP AND 11.96 AT 110.61 ON SLICKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Thanks for the ideas. I was looking in the neighborhood of $300. I'll do a little more poking around and see what some of these models you've sugested look like and features etc.
In the past, you could buy a harness kit , wire it to the head and then plug into the vehicles harnesses. Is this still the way to go and will the door speakers/amps etc. work like normal?

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Yeah you can buy a harness and splice it onto the new head units wiring and then just plug into the factory connector in your car. If you have the Shaker 500/1000 then make sure you get the harness that includes the RCA adapters for the subwoofers.

With an aftermarket head unit you're going to have a +12v remote wire. The Shaker amps for the door subs use a +5v remote to turn on. They'll still work with the +12v, but will make a pop sound every time you turn the stereo on or off. This can be fixed by putting a resistor in-line with the remote wire, which will bring the voltage down to a proper +5v. I don't remember the correct size for the resistor, but you should search the forums because its floating around here somewhere.

Black 2005 Mustang v6, 5 speed, IUP, EUP and Leather.

Razzi 1/4 window scoops, Mustang GT Sway Bars, Flowmaster American Thunder Single Exhaust, Clear Front Turn Signal Lenses, Demolet CAI, X-cal2 91 tune, Hurst Comp/Plus Shifter, FRPP T-Lock, Ford 3.73 gears

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Hey, thanks for the info. that's exactly the stuff I was hoping to get from you guys.

In your opinion, will I find anything good at Best Buy, or Retail stores? Should I just stick to online outlets?

I know I can handle the install myself especially since I'm pretty picky on "The Little Things".....
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avery_012 View Post
Get the Kenwood double din, 7120 or 8120, a nice set of speakers, 8" or 10", and a cable to connect your zune. And yes the kenwood touchscreen controls work with any MP3 player.
I just looked up the price on this....Are you kidden'??????????????????
That is expensive!
I'm sure that is a hell of a unit....but Geeesse!
Rookie
4.6L Member

You can still get the Pioneer P8000BT double din online for $249 + free shipping. You can get the Metra dash Bezel 95-8512 from sonicelectronix.com or on ebay for $9.99 and I am not sure exact pricing on the HU wiring harness adapter(s) but I think its around $20 for the shaker system ($5 for non-shaker). You will then need this 12v/5v thing - I did not have a shaker system so this did not apply to me. P8000BT is sold out at crutchfield now.

Speakers are definitely cheaper at sonicelectronix.com the Kenwood eXcelon KFC-X682C 6x8s a friend of mine just got from them for $59.00 vs $149 at crutchfield.com Of course crutchfield includes the plastic plug for the extra $100.

IMO - If you are on a tite budget stay away from best buy unless they are having a close out sale or somethin. They are among the highest priced places to buy from on most everything.
Rookie
4.6L Member

You might want to check out this install thread by Cavero:

My Pioneer FH8000BT install w/ pics - The Mustang Source

has good directions and pics on install of Pioneer HU into shaker system including 5v adapter.

Or you might want to check out this thread that is install for Alpine DVD touchscreen HU with trunk keyhole mounted camera.

Alpine IVA-W205 & Lorex SG4933R rear camera install (w/pics) - The Mustang Source

It is an excellent how to also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page