1998 Mustang Gt Speakers - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

1998 Mustang Gt Speakers

I have mach 460 system installed but the right front sounds blown so im planning on just replacing them for now. I've read that they are 5" x 7" and 6" x 8". Which is it?

Second:

The plan for my second project was to install some subs somewhere, but then i read that the rear speakers were subwoofers and i read that they were 6" x 8". Which is it?

Also what would you suggest for a sub setup. I like the way the bazooka tubed subs look on the internet but never seen one in person, but i never liked the look of a huge square box in the back of my friends trunk?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Hello,
As for the speakers in the mach 460 I am not to sure. I too have heard both. As for a new set up I would reccomend that you get a custom box made to fit in the corner or corners (if you want two subs) of your trunk.
I have two corner boxes with tens in them. If you only did one corner I would suggest a 12 or 15 if you could fit it. Some good brands that are not over priced like JL and kicker, is MA Audio, Audiobahn, Digital Designs, and some
MTX. (mostly the top three)
I would go with one big mono amp and a capacitor for sure.

2008 v6 Pony Package.
Performance mods: Aluminum Driveshaft, Screamin' Deamon Ignition Coil, Red Livewires... and an STS turbo kit with an intercooler,and water methanol injection.

5 psi~ 286rwhp, 331 rwtq

Other Mods: Window Louvers, 2 10" MA subs, 1200 watt RMS Hifonics amp. Tial 50mm BOV.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009
Apprentice
4.6L Member

crazy8s you are going to run into all sorts of issues with that mach 460 system. Here are a few things you need to know.

Mach 460 systems consist of a two way "component" type speaker system, there is four 6"x8" speakers and four separate tweeters.

But UNLIKE most stereo systems the Mach 460 head unit(deck) only powers the four tweeters and it only produces high frequencies. There are two amps in the trunk, one amp powers the 6X8 door speakers and the other amp powers the 6X8 rear speakers, the amps only produce mid-low frequencies. All the factory speakers are 6 ohms.

So the 6x8 speakers in the door and rear only produce lows-mids range sound. They are just standard speakers, no tweeters attached like aftermarket 6x8s.

The only correct way to replace the speaker is with a OEM factory 6 ohm speaker. Most people just replace everything with aftermarket products. I replaced all my speakers with Alpine SPX-17REF 6.5" component speaker systems. They included 6x8" to 6.5" speaker adapters so you can mount 6.5"s in the factory location and I mounted the Alpine tweetes in the factory tweeter location with a adapter I made from lexan I bought at Lowes.

You can try and replace the 6x8s with another set of aftermarket 6x8s but you will have a few issues which will result in poor sound. The main issue is the fact that the factory 6x8s are 6 ohms, if you replace them with 4 ohm aftermarket speakers the 4 ohm speakers will be louder than the other factory speakers. The harmonal balance between your 6x8s and your tweeters will be destroyed. Connecting 4 ohm speakers to the factory mach 460 amps will also lead to premature amp failure.

If you are not ready to switch to aftermarket equipment it may be best for you to fing a OEM factory replacement speaker. You can almost always find them on ebay, new and used. If all you need is a replacement and you can't find a good deal on ebay feel free to PM me.

Big Thanks to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009
V6 Member

Talking

If you decide to get an amp try this speakers pioneer 6x8 4 way 280watts don't put 6x5 cuz they won't sound that loud...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page