What should I do with my 1986 Mustang radio? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Arrow What should I do with my 1986 Mustang radio?

Hello again!
I recently removed the radio (premium radio in an 86 GT, it took a couple of hours...) and opened it up to fix a couple of things. The light was out for the digital readout, but when I tested it, the light was fine. It seems it isn't getting voltage from the radio's power supply. Rather than spending a few hours tracing every component in the power supply, I gave up on that light.
The Dolby NR button is also stuck in, and the three way "clicky" switch is hard to get to. I don't have a replacement component so I don't think it's worth my time to unsolder and replace it...
Lastly, all the potentiometers (for volume and balance) where making the crunchy noises as well as cutting in and out. I just sprayed them all with electronics cleaner and gave them all a good spin. I tested their resistivity, and they still have some bad spots, even with the cleaner.... I mean, they are 22 years old.

I still need to test the radio in car, but I doubt it will sound as clean as I want it.

My question is this: What do you guys recommend I do?

I don't want to cut apart my dash to fit a normal DIN sized modern radio, and I can't find a mint condition 86 prem. radio online to just swap out. I don't know of any radio repair places near me (do they still exist??), and I don't think I want to pay more than 50 bucks to get this particular radio fixed.

Are there new radios that are the same form factor as the old radios? (not DIN)

Thanks ahead of time for the help. I've been enjoying just listening to the car, but I want my radio back!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

I found an excellent example of something I am considering. This radio fits almost exactly into the space as the original radio, and in fact, looks cleaner since it removes some of the surrounding plastic. You'll see what i mean in the picture.

Does anyone know what size/model this radio is? The site said it is a kenwood cd player with satellite radio, but nothing specific. It doesn't look like a single DIN to me...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	86_saleen_dash.jpg
Views:	6886
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	65496  
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009
PONY Member
5.0L Member

a good car sterio shop normally the private ones have mustang radios. one near me dose. and they are nice units, after market but they are made to fit and no cutting. called long radio in west springfield , ma. 01089 can get number if you want?

89 LX vert. Auto to 5 sp.(t-5WC)Hurst short throw 3;73 rear,trickflow cover. Trickflow HCI street heat stage 1 ,24lb.inject. 70mmbody,75mm prom mass air. shorty headers highflow cats, flowmaster. Adj.fuel reg.190fuel pump. underdrive pullies,cold air fender. blue hose and 3 row radiator, 180 therm. edelbrock high flow,SS fan clutch,blast coil and 6al multispark, blue wires, subframe conectors and strut brace. trunk-no rack, 93 sp.ed.spoiler, cobra R 17, rear disk brakes, G3130amp/alt

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Well I guess I was wrong, single DIN radios do fit (height wise, they are too wide and the stock form factor needs to be trimmed.)

Does anyone have any pictures of their pre87 mustang aftermarket radio setups?

I just want something that looks clean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page