Custom sub enclosure for dual 12's - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009 Thread Starter

Custom sub enclosure for dual 12's

I've looked all over the forums and the net and I have found a lot of very nice enclosures however they only hold a single 12" on the passenger side and I was wondering if anyone has found something like these that come in a passenger and a driver side model so I can have 2.

My old vehicle bought the farm so to say so I moved up in the world to an 05 Mustang. Not a GT however I have put a magnaflow exhaust on it from the heads back, I have a cold air intake I want to do however it's sitting in the shope right now and I'm out of town and can't get to it. Custom tuned the car with a computer etc.

From the old car I want to bring over dual Alpine type R 12's so fairly larg and deep mounting subs but lo and behold the dual 12" ported enclosure I made for my old vehicle just can't get itself into the trunk. I don;t really care if it's sealed or ported at this point as I love loud bass but i do care about quality as well. Before it HAD to be ported as I kinda had to do the sad thing and compensate for a poor vehicle in the stereo deparment .

I gave a good look at these for sure as well as others but these 2 stood out as the best quality. I don;t need the subs themselves of course just the boxes.

Ford Mustang Stealthbox by JL Audio

Ford Mustang 12 inch Subwoofer Enclosure [QL-C1MST112] - $279.95 : Q-Logic Factory Outlet, Car Audio Speaker and Subwoofer Enclosures

I plan on mounting them reversed so the magnet is outside the enclosure so mounting depth is not an issue. The amp is going to be mounted on an LED lit stand in the trunk facing the trunk lid so when you open the trunk it's a bit of a nice display. I can make this part in my shop but I was really hoping to stay away from things like fiberglassing my own enclosures this time around. Killed enough brain cells drinking beers and sanding on other people's cars as it is

I would love any suggestions or links you might have. I can't be the only one that wanted to pound a little harder than a single 12" after all

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to gunz4me
This place has some nice stuff: Wicked C.A.S.*::*Magic Boxes*::*Ford

The only downside is shipping to Canada is killer. I have a friend who is currently living in Ontario and every time I send him something I pay through the nose.

Maybe I will buy a 2016 Mustang GT, maybe not...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009
PONY Member
2.3L Member

Send a message via AIM to DROPTOP STANG
okay well. i have a convertible so my trunk space is really limited. i had a custom box biult for me by a guy off craigslist for 50 dollars. that included materials because i got really lucky. its 3/4 mdf with all silicone sealing.

now. this will give you extreme knock like me. but i built them around my subs. with this box with a regular sized trunk like you. youd have extreme bass like me (depending on manufact specs) and still have half your trunk left. but then again my amp is also extremely good.

YouTube - feti slappp 2

i dont play around with my music.....

this is a 91 convertible. you see how tiny the trunk is. you can have the same amount of bass. listen to around 55 seconds when the trunk is fully closed you can tell a big difference. of course they are up firing so if you plan on have a bunch of loose **** in your trunk prolly not a good idea.

half the deal with car audio is what kind of sound YOU want. i love being able to have real loud bass that will give you a back massage and also have a good recovery rate for breakdowns and transitions and go into a totally different bassline you know. you will never hear me listen to rock music really so im not lookin nessicarially for that type of sound. its all preference. let me know what type of music your in to and i can give u more from there as far as a custom box goes. cuz thats what you want to do most definately.

1991 lx convertible, 138k
2000 watt custom built stereo system (STUPID LOUD)
16" Pony Wheels
Removed air silencer/CAI coming soon
Exhaust soon
New paint soon

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009 Thread Starter

Awesome. Thanks for the replies. Wicked C.A.S.*::*Magic Boxes*::*Ford seems to have exactly what I need but yeah that shipping is sky high! Well if that's what it takes then that's what it takes. As for the type of sound I've had it all. I can appreciate deep bass with a lot of degradation in sound to a degree because I used to mess with spl competitions when I was younger but now all I really need is a tighter sound with an excellent range. Sealed enclosures around 1.0 to 1.5 cu ft should give me that when I power it right. As for music it's a lot of heavier rock and drum & bass.

I already have the subs and amp to be reused which are dual alpine 12" type R's on a Single 1000 watt rms v-power alpine monoblock running 2 ohms. Should be plenty of punch. I'm either going to just order these pieces from Wicked CAS or possibly get some good pics and work up my own CAD specs and have them manufactured here depnding on what's cheaper in the end. I have a buddy with a body shop that can vacuform a piece if I need it. I could have him do that then just layer it up with fiberglass and carpet it so I don't have to sand till my hands fall off.

Thanks a lot guys. Kick ass repsonses

As for a deck that's the one thing I'm not reusing at all. It was a single din pioneer 4600 and I really don't want to use a single din in this car. Besides, it would skip on an mp3 disk when the weather got cold ha! So I'm going to order ...

Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

or

Alpine iVA-W203 DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

but very likely the pioneer for the better EQ. As things progress here I may take some pics or video and post them up if it turns out as nice as I hope it will be.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012
Rookie

I'm in tha process of building my own enclosure for 2 15" L7's in a 2000 ford mustang coupe. Workin on tha blueprints right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
audio , custom , enclosure , stereo , subs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page