My 2011 GT interior stripped down for stereo install - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

My 2011 GT interior stripped down for stereo install

I took my vert into a local car audio shop to get quite a bit of sound added. If anyone is interested, here is a video of what our 2011's look like under the interior panels and fabrics. This video was take a couple days ago. Since then, they removed the seats to add some resonators and on Monday they finish up the custom A-pillar covers with tweeters. I'll post pics/vid of the finished project.

Oh, and 1:22 into the video, you can see what the factory amplifier looks like and where it is in the trunk. I had the NAV and basic stereo from Ford.

YouTube - 2011 5.0 Mustang interior stripped for stereo install

2011 GT Premium Convertible Automatic = Received 05/28/10.
Completed mods:
-Tinted windows and all lamps (6/2010); Aftermarket speakers, amps, and 12" sub (7/2010); Staggered 20" wheels and tires (7/2010); Magnaflow axle-back (8/2010); SCT/Bama Custom Tune (8/2010); Sport rotors (8/2010); Pushbutton ignition and keyless entry (11/2010); Supercharger (7/2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010
Apprentice

Thanks for the video. I was just thinking about all this. What did you decide to go with? Are you staying with the factory nav and headunit? With the convertible, are you going with a sub? I noticed a large loss of cabin gain with the top down.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010
Apprentice

I was thinking of upgrading all speakers in the car and adding a sub in the trunk. I'm getting the GT Premium, which comes with a Shaker 500. Any idea if the Shaker amps are enough to push everything except for the door woofers and additional sub? I am thinking of having a seperate amp for the door woofers and the sub in the trunk and running everything else on the stock amp. I will be keeping the head unit, because it's the nav system. Anyone have any input on this?

2011 Mustang GT premium, Kona Blue, black over the top stipe, 6-spd manual, 3:73 gears, Brembo Brake Package, Comfort Package, Electronics Package, Coupe Package #5, Steeda CAI w/ Brenspeed tune

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

dude, throw some $ this way!!! 2011 vert, all that sound audio work, 20's lowering kti, tune. man, thats a lot of dough >< nice car though.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to RetroGT2006
Thats badass man!! I agree with JoeStimec send some $$ this way =)

Daily Driver: 2006 Honda CBR600rr
Weekend Warrior: 2006 Mustang GT
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010
PONY Member

omg dynamat is so heavy why would you want to add weight to your car?

2013 Boss 302
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010
PONY Member

I waited and waited and waited to take delievery over a month late (6/16/10) on my car, at this point I'm driving with the top down and enjoy the open air which in Michigan means I have 3-4 months left before summer ends. I have no need to waste time with adding more sound!

2011 5.0 Mustang Premium Convertible Sterling Grey, 6 spd Manual, Comfort package, Hood Scoop and rear Pedestal Spoiler, GT500 mufflers, GT500 mud flaps, mini antenna, red caliper covers, Boss shift ball and boot, LED trunk lights, Locking GAS Fuel Plug CAP. Ordered 3/30/2010, build date 5/3/2010. delivered 6/16/2010 car still running in perfect condition.
. :kooky:
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpickenz View Post
I was thinking of upgrading all speakers in the car and adding a sub in the trunk. I'm getting the GT Premium, which comes with a Shaker 500. Any idea if the Shaker amps are enough to push everything except for the door woofers and additional sub? I am thinking of having a seperate amp for the door woofers and the sub in the trunk and running everything else on the stock amp. I will be keeping the head unit, because it's the nav system. Anyone have any input on this?
It all depends on the speakers you choose, but I think you'll be very bass heavy. I don't know what the real world wattage of the shaker amps are but I doubt they're much at all.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010
PONY Member
V6 Member

I think I'd be driving it. Looks like a lot of work.
Can some one explain the Blue Tape, maybe I should know but don't?

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium
Sterling Gray Metallic, Charcoal Black
Automatic, 2.73 Rear
Comfort Package, Camera
AM/BAMA 93R Tune, K&N Drop-In, Roush Axle Back
F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Prevents scratches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post

2011 GT | MT82 | 3.73 | Brembos | Barton | Airaid | CDC chin | Corsa X pipe & Xtremes | DSS Aluminum Shaft | BMR Rear loop & LCA relocating brackets | J&M Extreme LCA | Koni Yellows | Steeda Sports | UMI Panhard | SCT & BAMA
"Yo, nutsack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying? Every time!" - Dwight
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
Looks like blue masking tape....probably so paint edges and plastic taillights don't get scratched up....good installers!

2011 Kona Blue/Charcoal GT, 400A Premium,6sp MT, HID's, Security Package, Comfort Package, 3.73's, Koni SRT/SteedaSports+Panhard, GT500 Mufflers
'06 Mazda Tribute,'05 Honda ST1300
'03 Yamaha FZ1000 '98 '00 '02 '04 Ford Expedition
'93 Buick Regal '90 Ford Explorer '87 F-250HD Diesel
'85 Yamaha FJ1100 '83 Honda NightHawk 650
'80 Olds Cutlass '70 Ford LTD
Apprentice

ACK! I dont think I could be so brave and trusting of my installer Really cool vid though, interesting to see the "innards". Thx.

2011 GT premium, Red metallic, black interior, 19" wheels, manual transmission, 3.55 ratio, electronics and comfort packages, camera, HID
Apprentice

The toughest part about letting someone take apart a my brand new car is, how much experience do they really have with my style to put it back together right. It's looking great so far. Keep us posted on the progress.

2011 Mustang GT premium, Kona Blue, black over the top stipe, 6-spd manual, 3:73 gears, Brembo Brake Package, Comfort Package, Electronics Package, Coupe Package #5, Steeda CAI w/ Brenspeed tune
Apprentice

Was hoping you were going to replace the head unit and post some pics of the Metra dash kit
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt310 View Post
omg dynamat is so heavy why would you want to add weight to your car?
Yeah, I thought about that, too. But I don't race, don't go to the track, and the amps plus sub will add a lot, too. I'm fine with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propaganda13 View Post
Thanks for the video. I was just thinking about all this. What did you decide to go with? Are you staying with the factory nav and headunit? With the convertible, are you going with a sub? I noticed a large loss of cabin gain with the top down.
I have separate tweeters in the front pillars, mids and woofers in the doors, resonators under each front seat, coax speakers in the rear, a 12" sub in the back, five amps, and dynamat/dynasorb. I don't know a lot about audio, but I trust the guy at the shop who designed my system. For what it's worth, the speakers are from Focal, the sub is from Memphis, and the amps are a combination of Memphis, Rockford Fosgate, and Zapco. The factory amp stays in place because from what I understand it takes the signal from the factory head unit (mine is the nav) and the soeake outputs from the factory amp go to the aftermarket amps. And then from there to my new speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpickenz View Post
I don't see why the factory amp couldn't do that. I have the GT Premium, too. Shaker 500 with nav. I believe from the factory, the amp is driving one 7" woofer and one 5x7" mid in each door. It is also driving rear 5x7s or 6x8s. So it's driving those six speakers. All you might need is an amp for the aftermarket sub. Again, I'm no expert and I may be off what I'm rememering.

Good luck!

2011 GT Premium Convertible Automatic = Received 05/28/10.
Completed mods:
-Tinted windows and all lamps (6/2010); Aftermarket speakers, amps, and 12" sub (7/2010); Staggered 20" wheels and tires (7/2010); Magnaflow axle-back (8/2010); SCT/Bama Custom Tune (8/2010); Sport rotors (8/2010); Pushbutton ignition and keyless entry (11/2010); Supercharger (7/2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page