Added a sub/amp to the Shaker 500 (mounting methods) - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

Add-A-Circuit

When adding the add a circuit to get 12v power for the amp turn on I will replace the existing fuse in port A (on the add a circuit) and what size/amp fuse should I add on for port B (to the amp which is a 400 watt amp). I read to use a 10 amp fuse max for the add a circuit. Would there be any issue with using too powerful a fuse (say 10 amp when only 7 or 3.5 amp is needed)? I also plan on using the same add a circuit process to get 12v switched power to my aftermarket sony xplod head unit. Same question here; what size/amp fuse should I add on? THX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

11Red3.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHosek View Post
When adding the add a circuit to get 12v power for the amp turn on I will replace the existing fuse in port A (on the add a circuit) and what size/amp fuse should I add on for port B (to the amp which is a 400 watt amp). I read to use a 10 amp fuse max for the add a circuit. Would there be any issue with using too powerful a fuse (say 10 amp when only 7 or 3.5 amp is needed)? I also plan on using the same add a circuit process to get 12v switched power to my aftermarket sony xplod head unit. Same question here; what size/amp fuse should I add on? THX
BHosek, you've resurrected an ancient thread!
The 400 watts really means nothing here, I'm sure that is Peak Power not RMS(Root Means Squared) which is the only output that actually matters. But the key is DO NOT use a larger amperage fuse than what is required, it is there to protect your electronics and your car from catching fire if a short circuit or other overdraw occurs. The fuse ratings should be in the manuals for your headunit and amplifier use exactly those ratings.

Rookie

Where did you get that switch and pop in bracket?

"I ran the 12v turn on line into the console so I could add this inline cutoff switch. This allows me to disable the amp for whatever reason (getting the car serviced, etc). The little plastic panel the switch is mounted in just pops out, it is a great place if you ever need to add a switch for anything."

Apprentice

yea the shaker 500 system is a joke and to think they charge extra for that just baffles me. You can get a much nicer sound from just picking and choosing a few key components and still be under $2,000
Definatly start with the head unit cause if it doesnt have 4V RCA outputs its signal loss will cause you to overdrive your amp and clip the signal and lead to massive amounts of distortion..

2014 Sterling Gray Gt 3.73's, MT82 Trans, Forgestar CF5's /w Michelin PSS tires, JLT Carbon fiber CAI, Bama 93R Tune, Borla S Catback, DSS Alum driveshaft, BMR springs, LCA, UCA, UCA mount, Panhard, Panhard brace, LCA Relo brackets, Viking Dbl adj shocks, Strange Adj struts, MGW shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page