Need opinions on upgrading my Mach 460 sound system - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Need opinions on upgrading my Mach 460 sound system

I don't HATE my mach 460 system. But I already have a four channel amp and a subwoofer system that I didnt sell with my previous vehicle. I was looking into just adding these in, but I read how ridiculously wired these systems are and I thought against it. So my question to you guys is, would it just be better to go the route of buying an entirely new system and re-wiring it with RCA's and actually logical speaker wire routes? Or should I just live with the sound?

Black with saddle 1996 Mustang GT convertible. Manual. NPI, 2v 4.6L. Full bolt-ons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011
Apprentice
S197 Member

Do you have the budget for a new head unit and all new speakers?

2011 GT Sterling Grey Premium w/ Stone Leather Interior
Automatic; HID Headlamps
19" Wheels w/ Strut Tower Brace
Comfort Package, Security Package
Rear View Camera, Sound System Upgrades
Magnaflow Catback - now with Resonators!

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
Do you have the budget for a new head unit and all new speakers?
Yeah, I've already found a head unit and two sets of component speakers picked out from crutchfield. I just don't know if it's worth the hassle or not.

Black with saddle 1996 Mustang GT convertible. Manual. NPI, 2v 4.6L. Full bolt-ons.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011
Apprentice
S197 Member

That's really a decision that, unfortunately, you'll have to make. You might want to price out the head unit and stuff at sites other than Crutchfield. Their service and support is super-top-notch, but it comes at a price.

2011 GT Sterling Grey Premium w/ Stone Leather Interior
Automatic; HID Headlamps
19" Wheels w/ Strut Tower Brace
Comfort Package, Security Package
Rear View Camera, Sound System Upgrades
Magnaflow Catback - now with Resonators!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
That's really a decision that, unfortunately, you'll have to make. You might want to price out the head unit and stuff at sites other than Crutchfield. Their service and support is super-top-notch, but it comes at a price.
I was fearing that. I just am very indecisive. And yeah I just say crutchfield because thats where I do my research to make sure things fit and to get good comparisons. But i'll be buying everything from ebay. I think I will sleep on it for a couple more weeks. But thanks for the input!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I say buy the headunit, than throw in that amp and sub(S) and hook em up to the headunit and be good to go! If your worried about speaks than just buy some top notch 6x8's (non comp) and throw them in that will utilize the stock speaker wiring harness which is wired to your headunit already.

2001 GT Mustang

Cheers!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7sage7x View Post
I say buy the headunit, than throw in that amp and sub(S) and hook em up to the headunit and be good to go! If your worried about speaks than just buy some top notch 6x8's (non comp) and throw them in that will utilize the stock speaker wiring harness which is wired to your headunit already.
Ugh, I know that I'm going to end up doing the whole thing anyways. I'm just dreading it. But just out of curiosity, why do you say to put in non comp 6x8's instead of a comp set? I had non comp 5x7 Infinity Kappas in my previous vehicle and I loved them, but every opinion ive read is that a comp system will be better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page