2010+ Mustang Metra 99-5823CH dash kit (the good and the bad) - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
2010+ Mustang Metra 99-5823CH dash kit (the good and the bad)

What's good?
What's stupid?
I've haven't found an answer on whether the buttons light up.
Are there a bunch of ambiguous buttons depending on which package you have?
What's the real "So What" with this kit?

Randall
2012 Lava Red V6 MT/101A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011
Rookie

I do not have the Metra kit but I was thinking about buying it and I just really could not like it, no matter how much I wanted to. They mashed all the climate control buttons and knobs into just 2 rows of buttons under the LCD to make room for a double DIN sterero. I have heard that during the day the LCD backlight is noticeably off compared to the rest of the dash lights. I would be all over the kit if they gave the option of putting a single DIN slot over where the stock stereo is and left all the climate control knobs and buttons the same. For me I got some Alpine type R 6x8s for the front and back, an Alpine type R 12" sub, a JL Audio HD900/5 amp, and a crossover and with the stock head unit I could not be happier

2011 Red Mustang V6
Stereo Mods: Alpine Type R 6x8's front and back, Alpine Type R 12" sub, MTX Thunderform sub enclosure, JL HD900/5 amp.
Car Mods: Ford Racing X-Pipe (coming soon)
Future Mods: Roush Axelback, 3.73 gears, C&L CAI, SCT Tuner, STaggered Black Machined GT 500 19" wheels, Front and rear sway bars.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Scoshe kit speculation

I've seen the "contrast" concerns mentioned in other posts. I e-mailed Scosche last week and they are telling me production delays are projecting to August 2011 sales for their kits. You can see the Scosche examples online. It would appear that while the Scosche kit probably would not share the contrast issue, the touch screen AC is redundent and unnecessarily large. The next thing I would wonder about is the top screen. Once you replace the radio, have an unecessarily large AC screen, what's the top screen have left to tell you? Temp and direction? If so, well now that just became unnecessarily large.

Randall
2012 Lava Red V6 MT/101A

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011
Apprentice

I wish someone would make a kit that retains the factory a/c controls and removes all the stereo display and controls and just provides the opening for either a single or doudble din opening.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Installed the Metra 99-5823CH

I broke down and went with the Metra 99-5823. You can find other threads about pulling the panels off.

Ford Wiring Trickery: After spending hours chasing factory wires with a multimeter and wearing Google out, you won't find a 12v assessory wire. You will find several 2.5v wires. They must be combining the voltage somewhere in their integration thingys or pulling off some other overly-engineered stunt. Shame on you Ford. You can either butcher the factor harnesses, run wires from scratch, or by the expensive harness. I broke down with the harness.

Some notes: The good thing about the dash is there's plenty of room and the panel are easy. The side panels in the back are a pain. Surprisingly, pulling the back seat out was the easiest thing of all. On a side note, I went ahead and put baffles on the back speakers hopefully to minimize the subs in the trunk from pumping them.

I'll add some finished product pics later of the dash kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7385.JPG
Views:	1238
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	147161   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7384.JPG
Views:	2303
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	147162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7386.JPG
Views:	1021
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	147163   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7388.JPG
Views:	979
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	147164   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7389.JPG
Views:	1322
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	147165  

Randall
2012 Lava Red V6 MT/101A
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012
Rookie

Next the 2010 Mustangs arrived along, in addition to out went the old radio setup which allowed for simply just swapping the double-din unit for crazy lcd touchscreen sexiness, and in came the revolutionary radio layout which insisted for you to fabricate your *** off as a way to even think about starting a project just like a carpc.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014
Rookie

I seek a radio housing from a Metra dash kit

If you're not using your Metra radio housing, can I buy it?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpactblue View Post
If you're not using your Metra radio housing, can I buy it?
You do realise that this thread is over 2 years old right?

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2010 , 2011 , 2012 , dash kit , metra 99-5823ch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in