Speaker Swap out suggestions? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
 
addison1062's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Naperville
Posts: 373
 
I found some infinity 6832cf's on Amazon for $53 a pair! =) I've ordered them and the metra harnesses, which arrived today, along with a trim kit. So, once the speakers show up and I get them in, i'll let you know what it sounds like.


2011 Sterling Grey MCA Performance Package with Glass Roof/Nav/HID/Every Factory Option...

Mods: Infinity 6832cfs|93 Octane stock|DynoMax 39507 Cat-Back|35% tint|Roush rear valance
addison1062 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
MACH I Member
 
Joenpb's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,622
 
Saved some money by keeping the factory head unit, & my stereo system sounds great.

I went with Alpine SPR-57C 5x7s all around, a JL CP108LG-W3V3 FlatWedge 8" sub woofer in the trunk, & a JL XD700/5 channel Amplifier to drive them all. High fidelity starts with a good amplifier & ends with quality speakers. :smoke:





Joenpb is offline  
Apprentice
 
technindy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 51
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenpb View Post
Saved some money by keeping the factory head unit, & my stereo system sounds great.

I went with Alpine SPR-57C 5x7s all around, a JL CP108LG-W3V3 FlatWedge 8" sub woofer in the trunk, & a JL XD700/5 channel Amplifier to drive them all. High fidelity starts with a good amplifier & ends with quality speakers. :smoke:

Joenpb,

Im looking at doing a very similar setup as you. Do you have the base stereo system? Does it have pre-outs or did you have to get a sound processor/converter to hook up the amp? Also where did you mount your amp.

thanks in advance..

2011 Auto Base (Race Red) 3.73 FRP Gears, AE AL Drive Shaft, 93H Bama Tune, AirRaid CAI, Borla S-Type CatBack, GT500 18" Wheels, Boss 302 STB
technindy is offline  
 
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member
 
RickAKATed10's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Highland
Posts: 2,507
 
Joenpb,
That does seem like a nice setup.

2012 Mustang V6 Premium | Black on Black - SOLD
Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Build date: 5/12/2011 | Purchased: 6/7/2011
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
RickAKATed10 is offline  
MACH I Member
 
Joenpb's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,622
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by technindy View Post
Joenpb,

Im looking at doing a very similar setup as you. Do you have the base stereo system? Does it have pre-outs or did you have to get a sound processor/converter to hook up the amp? Also where did you mount your amp.

thanks in advance..
Yes I had the base stereo system.

Mounted the amp under the passenger seat (removed), I also used a 4GA amp kit w/ 60-80A fuse to connect to the battery, 12GA speaker wire, 10 ft RCA cables, & a couple of hi/low level adapters (JL XD CLRAIC2-SW). Line converters aren't necessary because the amp has built in line converter & can handle line level or speaker level inputs. I also hooked up an amp remote level control (JL HD RLC), basically a potentiometer to control the amps output to the subwoofer. I attached it inside the console, and adjust as necessary. Basically on the radio I set the treble up a notch or two, keep the base flat, then adjust it with the remote.

Besides sounding great, my system looks stock, out of sight, out of mind, when I'm in town. Good luck.


Joenpb is offline  
MACH I Member
 
2VipeRS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bismarck
Posts: 2,666
 
Just installed my amp, and I gotta say, it's in the perfect spot! I wanted to put the amp on one side and sub on the other to somewhat even out the weight distribution a bit more (also, not enough 4guage to run to the other side lol).

Turned out 10x better than I thought, as the carpet will install over it and will be complettely hidden with the boost knob in the front seat.









Just waiting for my MaxThunder custom box for my 2Ohm DVC RF P3 shallow mount sub and my 1Ohm stable 2k dynamic Watt RE Audio amp.

Can't wait

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

2VipeRS is offline  
GT Member
 
Jazzcat's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 1,339
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by addison1062 View Post
I found some infinity 6832cf's on Amazon for $53 a pair! =) I've ordered them and the metra harnesses, which arrived today, along with a trim kit. So, once the speakers show up and I get them in, i'll let you know what it sounds like.

Look forward to your review as I plan to order them as well...

2012 V6 Auto / MPT Performance-Street Tune (5.0 Killa)

Jazzcat is offline  
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member
 
MrClean302's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 31
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenpb View Post
Yes I had the base stereo system.

Mounted the amp under the passenger seat (removed), I also used a 4GA amp kit w/ 60-80A fuse to connect to the battery, 12GA speaker wire, 10 ft RCA cables, & a couple of hi/low level adapters (JL XD CLRAIC2-SW). Line converters aren't necessary because the amp has built in line converter & can handle line level or speaker level inputs. I also hooked up an amp remote level control (JL HD RLC), basically a potentiometer to control the amps output to the subwoofer. I attached it inside the console, and adjust as necessary. Basically on the radio I set the treble up a notch or two, keep the base flat, then adjust it with the remote.

Besides sounding great, my system looks stock, out of sight, out of mind, when I'm in town. Good luck.
So does the factory head unit have RCA plugs in the back or did you use speaker level inputs?
MrClean302 is offline  
MACH I Member
 
Joenpb's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,622
 
I used speaker level inputs to the amp (No RCA plugs on back of HU), and speaker wire to RCA plugs (JL XD CLRAIC2-SW) for connection to the amp.


Joenpb is offline  
MACH I Member
 
2VipeRS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bismarck
Posts: 2,666
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenpb View Post
I used speaker level inputs to the amp (No RCA plugs on back of HU), and speaker wire to RCA plugs (JL XD CLRAIC2-SW) for connection to the amp.
I assume that you just spliced the FL and FR speaker wires for the speaker level inputs? If not, what line out did you utilize. Thanks in advance

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

2VipeRS is offline  
Beast3.7
Guest
 
Beast3.7's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
What do you all think about Focal's 570ca1's?
MACH I Member
 
Joenpb's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,622
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2VipeRS View Post
I assume that you just spliced the FL and FR speaker wires for the speaker level inputs? If not, what line out did you utilize. Thanks in advance
Yes, I spliced the front & rear speaker wires for input into the amplifier.


Joenpb is offline  
MACH I Member
 
Joenpb's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,622
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasswild View Post
What do you all think about Focal's 570ca1's?
While I think they look great, they're 3X the cost of the Alpines (similar specs) I bought, & doubt they're 3X better. Definitely would like to hear them in comparison to other quality speakers before I purchased. Pretty expensive for 5x7's, especially if you're not driving them with an amp to get the most out of them.


Joenpb is offline  
PONY Member
 
addison1062's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Naperville
Posts: 373
 
I have my rear Infinity's in now. My god was that a royal pain in the ass to do! If I ever meet the designer of the rear speaker set up, I will be arrested as I will punch them in the face for their stupidity...

That aside, I will hopefully get to the fronts tomorrow as the rain prevented my from finishing the doors.

After that, I will be able to give a true opinion of them. But as of right now, I couldn't hear the difference between stock and the new speakers in the rear...

2011 Sterling Grey MCA Performance Package with Glass Roof/Nav/HID/Every Factory Option...

Mods: Infinity 6832cfs|93 Octane stock|DynoMax 39507 Cat-Back|35% tint|Roush rear valance
addison1062 is offline  
GT Member
 
Jazzcat's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 1,339
 
I found that by fading the speakers to the front, the head unit ups the power as its not being distributed to all 4 speakers. I noticed that the sound coming from the back leaves a lot to be desired and adds little to the mix. By using just the fronts, the stereo imaging seems to be more defined, and more natural.

Look forward to hearing the review on the fronts !!


2012 V6 Auto / MPT Performance-Street Tune (5.0 Killa)

Jazzcat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1